Fidelity Investments - Toxic workplace | Glassdoor

"Toxic workplace"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time

Pros

401k match, shares if they like you, salary, choices for health insurance

Cons

I was told by my manager: "I'm not important, your work is not important, and no one cares about your job". Management by fear and intimidation seems to be status quo. Limited accountability. Fido has a lot of lifers and most of these people are bitter and angry or just plain useless. Talent is not rewarded and failure is not punished.

Advice to Management

Do what you are paid to do and stop treating employees like cattle.

Other Employee Reviews for Fidelity Investments

1. "Stable Company but lots of red tape"

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great career place. Many people stay there for 10+ years.
    Depending on your department and manager, very flexible with work/life
    Salary is average to good. Benefits and bonuses are great
    I stayed over 8 years because of how well I was treated. Decided to move on just to expand my knowledge but I wouldn't rule out a return some day.

Cons

Advancement is difficult due to the sheer number of employees. They can't have everyone it a VP level so some people will stagnate.
    Sometimes the red tape would get in the way and cause a small decision to take weeks to resolve.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

"Glad for having worked there, glad I'm no longer working there"

Former Employee - Vice President Technology
    Former Employee - Vice President Technology

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I loved working for a company that provided excellent customer service. I felt proud of the products we sold and knew that people really put their energy into doing the best possible thing for the customers. From the chairman down this was how the company operated. There was never any question about that.

Cons

There is an unusual culture of politeness, but not in a way that is productive. People nodding and smiling did not mean your idea had acceptance - outside of the meeting people nodding and smiling could work vigorously to defeat the idea. The lack of openness and vigorous debate was unusual.

The compensation at the executive level has a highly variable component based on the company's performance. People who had been successful getting internal "shares" tended to become more and more protective of their position and their turf. They had to continue to look good to get more and more shares and would actively undermine anyone with ideas different from theirs. I think this compensation model stifled innovation. People who rocked the boat didn't last very long; many of the people I admired in the executive ranks were eliminated during "reductions of force". There are antibodies to thought diversity that are really difficult to overcome.

I'd thought I'd be a lifer, but lost my job after 15 years during the 2008 recession. Since then I've had a lot more personal freedom than I experienced working at Fidelity with a more rapid pace of personal growth both consulting and starting a company. I am far less secure financially, but am happy.

Advice to Management

Move long-term executives into new roles that force them to develop new skills and perspectives. Long-term job tenure in the same, or similar, roles can lead to organization stultification. Move an SVP in technology into a role with customer-facing responsibilities. Take someone from a customer-facing organization and move them into a back-office operational role.

Rethink the shares program. Does it really produce the best outcomes for the company? I don't personally think it does.