Fidelity Investments - Fantastic company back in the 1980's; now struggling to regain its footing. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments

"Fantastic company back in the 1980's; now struggling to regain its footing."

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
Former Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

Pros

Smart, talented people.
Great environment for learning more about investing and personal financial management.
Excellent benefits.
Huge firm with worldwide presense and many different operating companies offering, in theory, many different types of opportunities.

Cons

As you advance in your career there, your opportunity to move to a new position is difficult; as with
any "triangular" organizational structure, there are fewer and fewer jobs the higher up you go on the corporate ladder.

Advice to Management

Before you ask employees to relocate from Boston or Marlborugh to Rhode Island or elsewhere, think through the implications of the move, such as losing good people and reducing employee morale.

Other Employee Reviews for Fidelity Investments

"I miss what it used to be."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

Pros

It's a solid company, for the most part, and I say that knowing that my job will soon be coming to an end. My business unit is going away, but they have been upfront with us about that decision and I appreciate that. I'd have no intention of leaving if it wasn't for the fact the my job is going away.

Cons

It has been Dilbert-ized a lot in recent years. I have loved working for this company, but it has gone down hill a lot since Roger Lawson came in. I'm glad he's leaving, but I think it's a bit too late.

Advice to Management

It would be wise to consider some sort of retention program, or all you'll have left to run the department is warm bodies waiting for a severance package. Even a small retention program for your most valued players would help keep the company going through the end.

2. "Contractor"

Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Relationship Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Decent hourly rate for someone with no experience in the industry - as a contractor
    Clients were great
    Very systematic methods which work well
    Bright people

Cons

High turnover
    Very political
    Contract to perm may never happen
    High stress

Advice to Management

Be upfront about hiring practices to contractors. Especially if they are brought on as "contract to perm after 3 months. My boss couldn't seem to manage an offer after 4 months - although he kept renewing my contract. After 10 months, I felt he was yanking me around - so I left the company. He was gone not long after.