Fidelity Investments - Fidelity Investments is a really great place to work! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity Investments

"Fidelity Investments is a really great place to work!"

Current Employee - Visual Design Developer in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Visual Design Developer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Fidelity Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are very nice and supportive, especially my manager. I had a recent death in my family, and everyone was beyond supportive, which meant a lot. You may expect an investment company to be stuffy and old school, but Fidelity is quite the opposite! The perks and benefits are great, as well as the pay.

Cons

Coming from a creative background (art and theater), being in a very corporate environment can be sometimes challenging for a right brained person.

Advice to Management

Though this is an old respected company with a sound reputation, make sure to also occasionally make room for new modern ideas.

Other Employee Reviews for Fidelity Investments

"Great pay/benefits and work/life balance, poor everything else"

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Westlake, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Westlake, TX

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays well, and benefits are best I have ever seen or heard of since. 10+ hours of overtime were offered almost every week, optional if you wanted to make more money. Flexible schedule ranging from 7a-midnight, also 4x10's available where you work 4 days a week for 10 hours each day. 2 weeks vacation, might have had 3-6 months waiting period for it, I don't recall.

You are taking phone calls and there is a call model to follow but it merely guides the flow of the conversation, it does not generally have things you must say word for word, therefore you don't sound and feel like a robot despite the extreme repetitiveness of taking phone calls.

Looks great on a resume, and is a foot in the door for the finance industry.

Cons

Disorganized between departments, as well as possible and probable deliberate deception of employees, dangling the carrot so to speak. And as most places have, occasional incompetent managers.

This specific role was all inbound phone calls which were randomly graded by customers and managers. Managers who graded your calls were inconsistent with each other, one would give you high marks for a chosen course of action while another would mark low and suggest an alternate route. Or there was the occasional manager who would mark lower than average scores across the board compared to other managers.

Myself and a few others were selected to get our series 6 & 7's and moved to a different division of WPI (workplace investing, you deal with 401k's and similar accounts) where we made a new team with a new manager. One week later we are all told there was an error in planning, and nobody in our newly found division would be getting licensed. However, the division we left would all be getting licensed. When I asked, I was told I could not be moved back to my old team, or join the training and stay in my new role. A few months later our new division was told we would all be getting licensed as well, only to be told a week later, again, that we would not be getting licensed.

You are always expected to probe for outside assets that could be brought to Fidelity. If there are assets which can be brought it, after finding them you must transfer the call to a specialist who makes money based on how much he brings in. The numbers you bring in to this department, as well as what actually comes into the company from these leads are tracked by Fidelity, and unable to be viewed by yourself. Management says it doesn't matter what you bring in because it's not your job, but again, these numbers are tracked and managers have access to them, keeping them high will most likely open new doors despite what is said.

Corporate culture seems that Fidelity wants cheerleaders more than employees. Make the customers believe we're great and you will be too if you give us your money. I came here to help people, and I was naive. It is all about getting more money in the door. But if you can make a lot of money working for Fidelity, and have relatively good job security.

Advice to Management

I find it appalling that HR conversations, including interviews, are never recorded, and HR seems to have free reign to say and do whatever they want. An internal position I interviewed for I was told one reason over the phone for not getting the role, and the report back to my manager said a different reason that was never brought up in conversation, and basically said I was horrible at my current job (I scored perfect 7's on all customer experience surveys, 90+ on my call grades except again for the one manager who only gave out 70's, and received the top 20% bonus on my team every quarter I worked there).

On the off chance management reads this, I had legitimate legal issues personal to me which I did not touch on in my review. These were ignored by HR and, once again, the reports of our conversation reflected topics we didn't discuss. After our conversation all proof in the matter, which I had access to, no longer existed. I went to HR for help only to be kicked while I was down.

"Be careful relocating"

Former Employee - Compliance Director in Providence, RI
    Former Employee - Compliance Director in Providence, RI

I worked at Fidelity Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and good co workers.

Cons

I was hired to help start futures for retail customers as a Compliance Director and was relocated from Buffalo Grove, IL. to Providence, RI. After 18 months Fidelity decided not to go forward with futures for retail customers and was laid off. Prior to accepting the position I asked HR and the senior managers that I interviewed with if there was any chance that starting futures would fall through. They said that was impossible.I jokingly said I don't want to live in a teepee with my son. I left a good position at Prudential, sold my home and moved for what amounted to the biggest mistake of my life.

Advice to Management

Stay true to your word. Severance does not help a life that was detroyed by your actions.