Fidelity National Title - An unorganized nightmare of a claims center which results in constant fear for your job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fidelity National Title

"An unorganized nightmare of a claims center which results in constant fear for your job"

Former Employee - Claims Counsel in Omaha, NE
Former Employee - Claims Counsel in Omaha, NE

I worked at Fidelity National Title full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had an opportunity to meet a lot of attorneys that were from different areas in the country. The majority of collegues that were not management were friendly and helpful.

Cons

The claims center is run on a culture of fear. Management fails to be transparent in how an attorney or an assistant's performance is measured. Instead, there are constant firings and layoffs without explanation. They appear to be random. People would have only positive reviews and then told during the termination meeting that suddenly they were not performing at the required level but without further explanation of what performance matrix they were not meeting. Further, management sends out the vibe that if you ask about the lay off or seen talking about that you will lose your job.

Promotions are also at random without transparency. People are just selected for a higher position without that position being announced as available or an opportunity to apply for it. Instead, it appears that current management picks their current favorites to fill the roles based on friendship and not work performance.

Management in Jacksonville, Florida must be aware of the poor work conditions but appear not to care. Numerous attorneys, which have been let go, have written letters to executive management outlining the terrible work conditions of the Omaha Claims Center. A letter was distributed in the Company’s parking garage concerning an allegation of sexual harassment. However, employees were scared to acknowledge that they even seen the letter for fear of losing their job. The Company never addressed said letter.

The claim center is also reactive and appears to have no proactive planning. Directives and demands are constantly sent out changing procedure and how matters are substantively handled. As much as it changes, it appears that management is constantly having knee jerk reactions to specific claims. I cannot imagine how an industry leader does not by this point in time of the tenure of the Company have established procedure in place for claims.

Furthermore, at times I felt as the Company was coming very close to crossing the line of good faith and dealing with the insureds. This was based upon the work load that was placed upon attorneys resulting in attorneys being unable to comply with local insurance laws concerning the amount of contact the Company was to have with its insureds, loss payments being made timely, etc.

Another negative factor is that the claim center's reputation in the legal community is horrible. The local bar association made fun of FNTG at an annual ball. It is embarrassing to tell people in the legal community that you are employed at Fidelity National Title Insurance Group.

Advice to Management

To realize that constant layoffs and knee jerk reactionary changes negatively affect the productivity of employees. That leadership by fear is not an effective mechanism to create loyal and happy employees. And to establish a procedure to announce open positions in the Company and allow people to apply for them internally versus management just hiring their current buddy.

Other Employee Reviews for Fidelity National Title

"Bad Company to work for"

Current Employee - Omaha in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Omaha in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Fidelity National Title full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Always busy, some employees are nice (if they are not talking behind your back all the time), hours are good.

Cons

High turnover. Attorneys are always coming and going. Managers and supervisors are lazy. One of my bosses took to many breaks, always coming in late and leaving early. No direction in this company. Bosses just look out for who they like and not who is actually working hard. I haven't gotten a raise in over 5 yrs even though my reviews are great! Fidelity should really look hard at the management and what they are really doing (because they are not working). Also upper level managers shouldn't be telling other employees who are getting fired and why they got fired etc. The HR dept. is a total joke. They need a better system and better people running HR. The only good thing is when we got a new VP, because he is great. Other than that, Fidelity needs to change and for the better or I think they might go under.

Advice to Management

To look at your bosses and see what kind of job they are really doing. The bosses shouldn't have friends in their same dept. or go out with these co-workers. So unprofessional!

"Expect to lose your job at any moment"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Omaha, NE

I worked at Fidelity National Title full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hires people with little experience, enabling recent law school and paralegal graduates to gain on-the-job experience. Coworkers are generally nice.

Cons

Local management gets directives from Jacksonville, which has no idea what's going on at this location. They constantly change things, sometimes laying off entire teams for absolutely no reason. When they lay people off, the management and HR walk around looking for people gossiping, because the employees are not allowed to acknowledge the fact that their friends were just let go. If you're caught passing the news, you get a write up. During my 3 years with the company, I worked on 5 different teams (not because I was moved--all of the team changes were because my team merged or was done away with entirely). There is absolutely NO training--I was given a handbook (written by someone in Jacksonville, so it had little bearing on our local procedures) and was immediately given 3 attorneys to assist. Right after I started, management was excited that they were able to give small raises, because they said that those were the first raises given in 5 years. A Fortune 500 company can't even give cost of living raises in 5 years? Come on. The workload for the attorneys is completely overwhelming, and if something falls through the cracks (which is bound to happen to everyone), they're fired. And for some reason (probably because it's cheaper), the majority of the "legal assistants" hired by Fidelity have no legal or title background, so most are not actually useful to the attorneys. It's a fearful atmosphere to work in.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like crap. Train your employees. Hire the proper number of people for the workload. Hire people who have experience in the field. Stop the layoffs and firings. Give annual reviews and raises when they are deserved.