Fifth Third - Good opportunities for growth if you can deal with constantly changing direction | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fifth Third

"Good opportunities for growth if you can deal with constantly changing direction"

Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Relationship Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Fifth Third offers competitive salary and a fair benefits package. There are opportunities to grow through an aggressive education plan, mentoring and outside education. It is up to you to direct your career, but there is ample help to get you where you want to go.

Cons

There is little recognition of accomplishments through either positive reinforcement, raises or advancement. Promotions are often politically motivated. The direction of the company is constantly changing creating a "program of the month" kind of mentality. Currently, credit is running the bank and while senior management expresses a desire to grow, it is very difficult to get anything approved.

Advice to Management

Relax credit standards. There is a lot of opportunity out there and other banks are booking business that we are taking a pass on. Look for ways to put business on the books, not for way to decline.

Other Employee Reviews for Fifth Third

1. "Was a very rewarding job before the large cut in commission pay we all took in January 2011"

Current Employee - Mortgage Originator in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Mortgage Originator in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Flexibility in my work schedule and the people I work with is very rewarding. I have worked there over 5 years and have enjoyed it for the most part. They do listen to my concerns and try to work with us on them.

Cons

Pay has been cut dramatically in the commissions which was due to some Gov't regulatory changes, but they could have re-structured our pay to make up for it, but choose not to because they knew they had us by the youknowwhats!

Advice to Management

You will continue to lose good talent unless you re-evaluate the commission pay structure of the Outside MLO's. I have lost at least 30% of my pay due to the changes and we are grossly underpaid right now.

2. "Terrible Coporate Culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

You get all the bank holidays and they have a very good paid time off policy.

Cons

I had 4 mangers in the short time I worked there. Every single one of them in their quest to climb the corporate ladder would lie and throw you under the bus to benefit them. Most of the mangement is highly unprofessional and will not even speak to you. The pay is low and they are constatnly changing their policy. They like to hire from outside instead of hiring or promoting from within. Most mid-level managment seems threatned by anyone that has a higher level of educaiton than them.