Fifth Third - Good company seems to care about employee's, but management is picked out of a hat | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fifth Third

"Good company seems to care about employee's, but management is picked out of a hat"

Current Employee - Tech Support in Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Tech Support in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, Good pay, care about employee retention. If you can get passed all the cons then it is worth it. The fact that I at least know the company as a whole seems to care about my job satisfaction helps me get through my work day.

Cons

If you ask 10 different people a question you will get 10 different answers. Management is picked from a hat, because they are some managers that should not be in their position. I hate that I sit across from my team lead and I hear her and all the other managers talking bad about employees.It brings team moral down. When managers get bored they watch where you park, badge swipes, and keeps a clock on you when going to breaks. It makes me feel like a child instead of a professional.

Advice to Management

More training for management, also keeping management up to date by doing refresher courses every 6 months. Having management keep a professional attitude during work hours.

Other Employee Reviews for Fifth Third

"Good Company Overall, Sales Pressure Overwhelming"

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with day in and day out are great. More experienced people at other branches are always willing to help you out, and regularly reach out to give advice. HR is top notch (the recruiting/hiring/training) process is seamless and enjoyable. The pay is definitely low for what you are asked to do, but probably on par, or slightly above the industry average. Overall, I would recommend a friend to work for Fifth Third, but steer clear of retail, particularly the Personal Banker role.

Cons

No matter how many times in training they will say that Fifth Third is more customer based, and less sales-driven than other banks, it is simply not true. As a Personal Banker, you will get multiple calls each day from your Regional Manager asking why you are not hitting your daily numbers. In branch, the Financial Center Manager (FCM) will document every conversation you have, and every interaction is turned into a " coaching session". These will be later used against you, essentially digging yourself into a hole. The advice you receive from your FCM and Regional Manager will constantly contradict one another. They are not on the same page. No matter how good or smart of an employee you are, your FCM will not trust you, and you will be micromanaged to the largest degree. Each morning, I must send my manager my hourly schedule (10-11am I will be doing this, 11-12 I will be doing this, etc.). It truly does not make you feel like a "'professional", and after 5 years in the industry, it's very tough to be treated like a child. I understand having structure, but no one can, nor should be asked to work in this way. Speaking as a Personal Banker, count on working 2-3 nights per week after 7PM.

Advice to Management

Make sales goals realistic. Take care of your employees, and recognize when someone is an asset. Use their personal strengths to find their niche within the company. Everything does not need to be based on sales numbers. Stop expanding and adding so many branches, making it next to impossible to grow a locations deposit and loan portfolio. When there are 3 branches in a one mile radius, it is very tough sales wise.

2. "Politically difficult environment."

Former Employee - IT Manager in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

(a) teams committed to success; (b) very efficient operational processes (c) lucrative.

Cons

(a) limited investment in IT leading to staff shortages and significant workload; (b) workforce reductions on average every 18-24 months including position eliminations in years where staff is paid annual bonuses ???

Advice to Management

Improve decision making within the IT Leadership; communicate it and mend the relationship between IT and the Business. IT Budget is significantly less than what it takes to be successful (30-40%).