Fifth Third - It all depends what department and manager you have... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fifth Third

"It all depends what department and manager you have..."

Current Employee - Accounting in Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Accounting in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stock discount program and some very knowledgeable people. Hours aren't bad in accounting.

Cons

Fifth Third is a very large employer in Cincinnati so I can't generalize all jobs they offer. All I can do is tell you both Capital markets and Corporate accounting have some very high turnover (Sec reporting and regulation seemed fine). In my time there (less than 2 years) I watched practically the entire department turnover from manager down. People were fired after a few months for not learning quick enough, people would leave less than a month after starting because they hated it, people would leave after having to do other peoples' jobs on top of their own because there was so much turnover, and of course they would leave because the pay wasn't all that great. I also watched 2 people at the director level consistently gossip and bad mouth those they didn't like while giving special treatment to those they did like. If you do get offered a job in either of these two departments please do your homework on why the job is open and what the expectations for you are because I've seen just as many sinkers as swimmers.

Advice to Management

It comes from the top down. Poston (former CFO) was demoted, so hopefully some lessons have been learned. Culture is horrendous here though. Very ridged and practically military in "going through the chain of command." Rarely did i ever have interaction with anyone beyond direct supervisor. A lot of favoritism, politics, and high turnover. Really need to take a look at what's causing this in the accounting department...look no further than those at the director level who treat subordinates poorly while kissing up to superiors.

Other Employee Reviews for Fifth Third

"It was a call center. I didn't like the job. Bad management"

Former Employee - Inbound Customer Service Representative in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Inbound Customer Service Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at Fifth Third full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was good. Good benefits

Cons

Company very strict. They would rate you bad for any word that was not acceptable by their standards. For anything they would fired you.

"Good Company that Resists Change"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Fifth Third full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are good and finding internal promotions is easy to a point (see below). Salaries are competitive. The company is good about communicating organizational news and goals. They match up to 4% of your 401(k) contribution.

Cons

At lower pay grades it is very hard to make your voice heard. Even leaders seem to have a hard time affecting change due to the rigid structure of the organization. If you work hard, you'll move up the ladder quickly until you hit a glass ceiling where you can't move up anymore without a background in finance, accounting or business.

Advice to Management

Listen and experiment as much as is possible for a financial institution. Good advice can come from anyone and taking organizational risks could be the key to making your bank an industry leader.