"Small, Smart, Self-Funded Remote Company w/ Strong Engineering Practices"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Front End Engineer in Clinton, UT

I have been working at Files.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

100% Remote, No Office. Good salary, good modern tech stack. Transparent leadership. CEO is a strong Software Engineer himself and thus has realistic expectations and is very understanding of engineering problems and ETAs.

Cons

There's no hand-holding nor much time is spent on "managing" employees and helping them to succeed, as some bigger companies do. You have to be self-managed, identify problems and suggest solutions on your own.

Continue reading

Other Employee Reviews

"Awesome, Fast-Paced company"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Files.com full-time

Pros

Very much enjoy working here. Some recent, negative review are not taking into account two things: 1) this is a small but rapidly growing company. I mean RAPIDLY...so the pace can be a little frantic at times. That's the excitement of working for a company that is growing in spite of the things going on in the world. The hard work we're doing now will reward us later on. 2) the CEO is the boss. If you do what he asks you to do, you'll be fine. If you feel the need to butt heads with him, you'll be sorry. You can't have it both ways. Every co-worker is awesome, we get a lot of autonomy as long as we show we're getting the work done. As a fully remote company, you get a lot of autonomy...so don't abuse it. When we were all traveling freely we used to meet quarterly...a great opportunity to share a meal with your co-workers and celebrate successes. These days, we try to do events "remotely" to keep up morale and encourage bonding. It's all good.

Cons

Again, the pace is fast, expectations are high and the boss is charging hard to put out a great product. You have to keep your head down and your shoulders broad. It can be a challenge sometimes to get advice/direction from the CEO, because he's pulled in several directions at once. You have to be a fast learner, and be willing to ask those around you for guidance.

Continue reading

"A great place to do good work"

4.0

I have been working at Files.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

From my limited tenure so far, I can point to several significant advantages to working here: 1. Your peers are generally highly experienced and interested in doing "good work." 2. You can expect clear feedback on your work -- positive or negative. 3. Meetings are short and focused. 4. There's very little wasted effort -- the features you write are likely to see immediate use once they're deployed. 5. The company has been full remote since its inception, so there's no local/remote split. 6. Work that results in more maintainable code is seen as highly valuable. 7. Since it is a growing company, there are still plenty of areas where you can establish yourself as an internal expert.

Cons

I have read the other reviews on this site, and while I wasn't there I can say that the picture they paint is different from my own day to day experience. No company is perfect, and no company fits every person. Case in point -- if you are used to in-person interaction, a full-remote company is going to be a significant adjustment. That was the case for me, and I didn't even realize it when I started.

Discover more reviews about Files.com.