"It takes great people to make a great company"

5.0
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Files.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

When I first read Action Verb's "Core Beliefs" I was immediately taken aback that they so closely match my own. After my first month on the job I am still enjoying what I consider to be the best fit culturally of any company I've been with in the past 20 years. I felt welcomed from my very first day on the job. Action Verb hires mainly senior-level people with proven track records in multiple disciplines. Being a generalist with a strong software development background, it's nice to finally be able to learn from my colleagues and share my expertise as well. At other jobs I often felt like I was alone in my need to constantly learn new technologies and rarely had the opportunity to learn from someone more senior. Before Action Verb, the burden of researching and vetting new technologies rested solely on my shoulders. It's so refreshing to be surrounded by like-minded colleagues who have such a thirst for knowledge. Expectations are very clearly communicated and co-workers are eager to help us new hires with navigating the well-documented company procedures and polices. Although Action Verb is a remote-only company, I have never experienced any lack of communication or collaboration. Our core product, Files.com, is a feature-rich service for businesses and can scale to meet the demands of large enterprises. It's a product I'm proud to be associated with.

Cons

Working for a start-up can have its challenges, but this is not something specific to Action Verb. Personally, I cannot find too much that I would like to see improved

Continue reading

Other Employee Reviews

"Awesome, Fast-Paced company"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Files.com full-time

Pros

Very much enjoy working here. Some recent, negative review are not taking into account two things: 1) this is a small but rapidly growing company. I mean RAPIDLY...so the pace can be a little frantic at times. That's the excitement of working for a company that is growing in spite of the things going on in the world. The hard work we're doing now will reward us later on. 2) the CEO is the boss. If you do what he asks you to do, you'll be fine. If you feel the need to butt heads with him, you'll be sorry. You can't have it both ways. Every co-worker is awesome, we get a lot of autonomy as long as we show we're getting the work done. As a fully remote company, you get a lot of autonomy...so don't abuse it. When we were all traveling freely we used to meet quarterly...a great opportunity to share a meal with your co-workers and celebrate successes. These days, we try to do events "remotely" to keep up morale and encourage bonding. It's all good.

Cons

Again, the pace is fast, expectations are high and the boss is charging hard to put out a great product. You have to keep your head down and your shoulders broad. It can be a challenge sometimes to get advice/direction from the CEO, because he's pulled in several directions at once. You have to be a fast learner, and be willing to ask those around you for guidance.

Continue reading

"A great place to do good work"

4.0

I have been working at Files.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

From my limited tenure so far, I can point to several significant advantages to working here: 1. Your peers are generally highly experienced and interested in doing "good work." 2. You can expect clear feedback on your work -- positive or negative. 3. Meetings are short and focused. 4. There's very little wasted effort -- the features you write are likely to see immediate use once they're deployed. 5. The company has been full remote since its inception, so there's no local/remote split. 6. Work that results in more maintainable code is seen as highly valuable. 7. Since it is a growing company, there are still plenty of areas where you can establish yourself as an internal expert.

Cons

I have read the other reviews on this site, and while I wasn't there I can say that the picture they paint is different from my own day to day experience. No company is perfect, and no company fits every person. Case in point -- if you are used to in-person interaction, a full-remote company is going to be a significant adjustment. That was the case for me, and I didn't even realize it when I started.

Discover more reviews about Files.com.