Files.com - It takes great people to make a great company | Glassdoor

"It takes great people to make a great company"

Current Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Files.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

When I first read Action Verb's "Core Beliefs" I was immediately taken aback that they so closely match my own. After my first month on the job I am still enjoying what I consider to be the best fit culturally of any company I've been with in the past 20 years. I felt welcomed from my very first day on the job. Action Verb hires mainly senior-level people with proven track records in multiple disciplines. Being a generalist with a strong software development background, it's nice to finally be able to learn from my colleagues and share my expertise as well. At other jobs I often felt like I was alone in my need to constantly learn new technologies and rarely had the opportunity to learn from someone more senior. Before Action Verb, the burden of researching and vetting new technologies rested solely on my shoulders. It's so refreshing to be surrounded by like-minded colleagues who have such a thirst for knowledge. Expectations are very clearly communicated and co-workers are eager to help us new hires with navigating the well-documented company procedures and polices. Although Action Verb is a remote-only company, I have never experienced any lack of communication or collaboration. Our core product, Files.com, is a feature-rich service for businesses and can scale to meet the demands of large enterprises. It's a product I'm proud to be associated with.

Cons

Working for a start-up can have its challenges, but this is not something specific to Action Verb. Personally, I cannot find too much that I would like to see improved

Advice to Management

Maintain the course we're on. Security is at the top of our list, where it should be. It's something we're good at and I hope we will always maintain our focus on it.

Files.com2019-07-22

Other Employee Reviews

"Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Infrastructure Engineer

I have been working at Files.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

I really like working at ActionVerb because of the people and the technology. This is the first company that I have worked for that security is number one priority. The work is challenging and rewarding all at the same time. Everyone who works for Action Verb is an expert in their field and they are fantastic to work with. The bonus is that I am a client of our product as well.

Cons

Working remote can be challenging for some. What it teaches is to really over communicate your thoughts and ideas.

Advice to Management

Continue on the path you are on and I have no doubt we will do well!

Files.com2019-07-23

"Toxic management, high turnover, sociopathic (childish ceo)"

Former Employee - Senior Infrastructure Engineer

I worked at Files.com full-time for less than a year

Pros

They are good at hiring, so the people you work with are top notch and definitely are experts in their field and outside of those that are drunk with the kool-aid, awesome to engage with and work towards a greater goal.

Cons

Where to start... the constant threat of losing your job because you said something that upset Kevin (owner), the inability to perform your role because of the inherent distrust within the org, the lack of formal leadership and structure, the expectation to perform with your hands tied behind your back, the toxic culture this creates, etc... I can say that it's been more of a relief to leave than it ever was to work there, which I'm not sure count's as a pro or con, but is just a fact.

Advice to Management

Separate Kevin from engaging with anyone, other companies have done it very well by creating layers of people that are slightly less terrible than the CEO to engage with the leads, whom in turn engage with the teams. The fact that there is someone so mentally unstable randomly spouting off things as fact that he has no knowledge about to life long professionals hired to do a job and will fire them for standing their ground on the truth/experience/skill-set they were hired for will be the end of this company.

Files.com2020-01-17

Discover more reviews about Files.com.