First American - Good family environment, but a lot of uncertainty | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for First American

"Good family environment, but a lot of uncertainty"

Current Employee - Vice President in Santa Ana, CA
Current Employee - Vice President in Santa Ana, CA

Pros

Good retirement benefits like 401(k) and ESPP, a lot of "HR" type programs and medical benefits. Management seems very progressive now in the face of a changing real estate market.

Cons

A lot of uncertainty around jobs. Everyone walks around waiting for the other shoe to drop. Decisions on who stays and who gets laid off are sometimes illogical.

Advice to Management

Your employees are your strongest asset, from the lowest examiner to middle management. It's no secret that the highest executives are getting tremendous RSU and other bonus type packages while lower level employees are getting very little if anything.

Other Employee Reviews for First American

1. "Escrow Assistant"

Former Employee - Escrow Assistant in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Escrow Assistant in Flagstaff, AZ

Pros

I worked here before the market took too much of a downturn, but at the time, the company was great. Very appreciative of their employees, took good care of us with giving bonuses to all employees, not just management.

Cons

Very busy and stressful on Fridays and Month-End. When I put in for a transfer 2 months out, the branch I was currently at moved me from my office to the front desk, pretty much a demotion without the pay decrease, until my transfer was processed.

Advice to Management

They did a great job with making themselves available to all employees, not just management. Enjoyed the visits they made to the branch.

2. "Pros and Cons of working at First American."

Former Employee - Senior ESCROW OFFICER
    Former Employee - Senior ESCROW OFFICER

Pros

First American provides the latest industry resources and information to the employees. They are well structured, organized and pro-active in the industry. First American as a whole operates with high standards and integrity.

Received support and cooperation with other employees in separate divisions and departments. Excellent rapport amongst employees company wide.

Cons

Change operating procedures much too often. As they merge depts. and consolidate the operating procedures change drastically with the consolidation of depts. Employees are constantly needing to be re-trained in procedures which can be confusing & frustrating & very time consuming.

Local Management sets goals & promised to implement plans for job growth for employees but doesn't follow through and many times. The employee is not only left in limbo but also does not receive the support to grow and advance in their position and within the company as had been promised. This occured throughout my 5 years at FTC even up to my last week of employment. Unfortunately it breeds distrust with local management. I would prefer management to be completely honest about job growth than to hear promises & commitments that don't come to fruition. Out of 3 managers one actually apologized for the above and admitted they failed in this area. I respect him for that honesty.

Company does not offer any support or programs to employees that are laid-off, such as "Right Management" program. You receive your last check with a divorce agreement.

Advice to Management

Be honest with employees regarding their position with the company and what is really to be expected with support. If you're not following through with support. Then communicate honestly and directly with the the employee about it.

When an employee asks if they are about to get laid-off. Don't look them straight in they eye and say "NO" then the next day hand them their last check.

Provide supportive career transition programs for the folks you are laying off.

Burning bridges is not wise for anyone including employers.

This rough economy will pass and our nation will flourish once again. And when it does you will need many of the workers you let go. Treat them with dignity, respect and honesty during this time and in the long run both employer and employee will rebound in a much better position.