First Command Financial Services - Wonderful Organization | Glassdoor

"Wonderful Organization"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Arlington, VA
Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Arlington, VA

I have been working at First Command Financial Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First Command provides an excellent opportunity for an entrepreneurial minded individual. It is extremely rewarding to work with an underserved market. This is an ideal job for people who enjoy working closely with military service members.

Cons

Starting your business requires a major commitment of time and energy. I recommend potential advisors strongly consider if they are suited for a sales driven industry.

Advice to Management

Always keep our client's best interests in mind when making management decisions. This focus will help the company grow.

Other Employee Reviews for First Command Financial Services

"Financial Advisors steer clear of this company"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at First Command Financial Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I believe for the most part that many of the people that work here are good people.

Cons

This company claims to have "independant Contractors" as their Financial advisors, and in fact they are anything but. It was clear from day one that the only thing they want you to sell is whole life insurance. Their financial planning software only allows for the recommendation of whole life insurance, and I have been sepcifically told that they will not approve the sale of anything else. Their claim of comprehensive financial planning is completely false, they highly discourage investments in anything but their fee based account and also do not allow the sale of many investment products.
    In my 10 years in the business, I have never experienced a company using such out dated software and adopted such a one sided way of thinking. This company feels more like a multi level marketing company than a financial services organization. They have all advisors memorize a detailed script teaching them how to manipulate people into buying whole life insurance.
    If you are an advisor considering working for this company, you need to do your research and ask questions like: Why did the company experience a mass exodus of advisors and clients in the last 5 years, why is their compensation contract so much lower than the rest of the industry?
    The other point that is very bothersome to me is the fact that the company expresses their services to our nations military. In actuality what they are doing is preying on our men and women in our service. They explain that these men and women are used to taking orders and it is our job to tell them that they need to buy whole life insurance without any regard to the affordability or if it fits into our clients plan and goals.
    This company was started as a "good ole boys club" and that is exactly how it is today. If the company doesn't wake up and realize it is 2013, the company will not be here for much longer.

Advice to Management

Their one sided old fashioned way of thinking is sinking this company. They need to take some drastics measures and put talented people in the proper positions to make sure this company moves forward. Yes, this is going to mean firing some of the good ole boys. They also need to provide their advisors with the tools and software they need to perform their job correctly. Please recognize that the systems you have in place are very outdated compared to the entire industry. Wake up, it's 2013!
    Do you have any idea how much additional revenue and commissions this company would take in if you provided the advisors with proper tools, and a better product selection. Do you not understand that in todays culture a clients investment business will build trust and also open the door to future risk management planning? Usually not the other way around.

"Good learning experience"

Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

-A "salary assistance" helps you when first starting off
    -You get to know the company "higher-ups" pretty well
    -Good people to work with

Cons

-You need to be able to sell insurance. And lots of it. That is where you earn most of your money early in your career.
    -Each district is a separate situation, you may have a great manager who helps, you may have a bad manager who does not

Advice to Management

Ensure that all managers have similar approaches to their advisors. Lots of variety seen in the managers of the divisions.