First Data - Account Executive | Glassdoor

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Baton Rouge, LA
Former Employee - Account Executive in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at First Data full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a great Director. He really was helpful and trained me extreamly well. I was told that wasn't common. This is the only merchant services company that pays a base and commission. Your first 4 months in addition to $25k a year, you also get an additional $1500 a month. Once you met your goal of 6 or more, you get the $1500 for 2 additional months. All Account Executives are partnered with a Financial Institute (FI), Sam's Club, or company, so the leads come from them. You also have to generate deals yourself. You get a lot of support. They really are #1 in the industry.

Cons

The FI I was assigned to was not known and did not generate many leads. I was then assigned to all of the branches of that FI in the whole state and combined, they still didnt not generate many leads per month. I had to travel a lot to visit each branch every week and didn't yield results. There were coworkers that would get over 20 leads per month from their FI's. I got a total of 6 leads the whole 6 months I was with the company. There is too much competition and the merchants are bombared with merchant reps all day everyday. They want something for nothing and you basically have to give it away to just make $20 a month of the deal (if that). This is great for a person who really don't care about helping others and are truly only concerned about money. Because you have to "omit" information from the merchant to get any money out of the deal. You have to work from sun up to 9 PM to make any money.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring so many people in one area. More than one person from the same company visiting a merchant can confuse them and shows we are more concerned with ourselves and not the client.

Other Employee Reviews for First Data

"Avoid This Place If Possible!"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Staten Island, NY
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Staten Island, NY

I worked at First Data as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

-The Staten Island location has a beautiful location.
    -Non-managerial positions are remedial and can be executed effortlessly.

Cons

-The majority of the employees are backstabbing hood rats that sit around discussing Love and Hip-Hop or taking their baby daddies to court for child support instead of doing the work that they are paid to do.
    -Poverty level wages.
    -Contract workers are sent home early at least once a week due to a lack of work.
    -Departments are being outsourced.

2. "Waste of time and effort"

Former Contractor - Mail Opening Operator/Data Entry in Columbus, GA
    Former Contractor - Mail Opening Operator/Data Entry in Columbus, GA

I worked at First Data as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Variable schedule was okay, but most of the time there wasn't enough work.

Cons

High turnover, no room for advancement, poor/irrelevant training. I was hired with the information that I would be hired permanently only to be misled.

Advice to Management

Hire your contract employees before hiring people that haven't even been trained. Good, hard workers (Harder working than your senior employees even) are just let go for no reason other than they were hired as contract work.