First Niagara Financial - The company has merged with too many Banks in a short period of time, and needs to get a handle on the processes work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for First Niagara Financial

"The company has merged with too many Banks in a short period of time, and needs to get a handle on the processes work"

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Upper management should be more organized with processes

Advice to Management

Better organization and communication to all levels of company

Other Employee Reviews for First Niagara Financial

1. "Good company but trying to grow too fast"

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at First Niagara Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with and for want you to succeed. They have assembled a team of people from a ton of great organizations and they are attempting to build a new leader in banking. They put lots of focus around organizational development, engagement, and transparency. I am a top performer and I get constant regonition for my production and leadership.

Cons

The problems are around the fast expansion of the company. They had four purchases within four years and went from a savings thrift bank to a top 25 within that time. As a result, everything is constantly changing and no one can keep up. The communication is terrible and the incentive program does not reward. Although you get recognitinon, if money is a concern this is not the place to be. Due to all the purchases the budget is tight and they don't pay for performance. It often feels like the people at the top want to be running a large bank so badly that they don't care how their employees are affected and how much they have to deal with from the public.Lastly, there is little room for advancement since the company is still generally small and doesn't have a range of available positions.

Advice to Management

Reward employees and don't make them feel like sales machines. Sometimes the goals can stay relatively stagnant from year to year. Raising a goal and then unofficially raising it by 20% more puts employees in a stressful position.

"Movement in Management causing Negative Changes"

Former Employee - Financial Consultant
    Former Employee - Financial Consultant

I worked at First Niagara Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Salary! I enjoyed working with people who had been in the business for a very long time. I was always learning something new.

Cons

Constant movements in management caused negativity with employees and unwelcome changes. The overall atmosphere of the job after some of these changes was negative. All employees in my office were VERY unhappy when I left.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to changes, peoples entire lives are affected by these changes. One person in the wrong position can cause serious loss of talent.