First Student - I safely transport students to and from school. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for First Student

"I safely transport students to and from school."

Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Crest Hill, IL
Current Employee - School Bus Driver in Crest Hill, IL

I have been working at First Student part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It's a great place to work for retired individuals or at home moms.

Cons

Wish the bus driving was full time.

Other Employee Reviews for First Student

"Most of the people working there are great but at my branch this family thinks they run it and it's not a good place to"

Current Employee - Bus Attendant in DeKalb, IL
    Current Employee - Bus Attendant in DeKalb, IL

I have been working at First Student part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are friendly for the most part , the kids are great to work with. It's part time hours.

Cons

Don't get paid enough. All branches around us get paid more then we do. The family needs to be taken under control and made to have the same options as all other workers not special treatment.Management needs to find out what is going on and do something about it. Need to make changes in who is in charge there.

Advice to Management

Find out from the people working there what is going on and take action. No more family favorites.

"Working life of a bus monitor... The good, the bad, and the extremey ugly views."

Current Employee - Bus Monitor in Binghamton, NY
    Current Employee - Bus Monitor in Binghamton, NY

I have been working at First Student part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Getting to meet very loving, and charming children. Making sure those kids know how to be safe, and remain so on a bus that's in motion. Working with a driver that is willing to help if situations get too rough for the monitor. Get to only work four hours a day, and get a decent salary with it. Work the same days, and get the same days off as the kids; weekends, holidays, snow days, and even school cancellations. Get to be your goofy self; little kids don't care what you look like, OR if you act like a total dork (middle school, and high school are totally different). Get to work either alone OR in a two-man team. And if you do well, people give you the respect you deserve.

Cons

The children's attitudes; some days are good the others TOTALLY down the tubes. The children will try to get you fired IF they don't like you. Cannot touch child EVER (only time is to help a disabled child get onto and off the bus). You cannot defend yourself if a child attacks you (only defense you have is blocking your face, CANNOT even grasp their hands/wrists to stop them). CANNOT pull fighting children apart, have to stand in between and get hit yourself. Majority of time, have to stand; which can be hazardous when other drivers on road decide to do something "stupid" while driving. Having to clean the bus entirely again AFTER you just cleaned it that day (some days can't be helped; like during the winter, and early spring). Argumental parents; they get into your face, just because their kid(s) is telling them one thing and you another. Even though we have a seniority system at our location, favoritism runs the offices mostly (so in order to even get extra runs or anything, you have to be one of the manager's favorites). When you call in sick, everyone gets onto your case and curse your name, and give you a hard time when you return to work. Rumors and stories spread like wildfires; especially about people who're NOT the manager's favorites.

Advice to Management

No more favoritism! I work hard and do my best with these kids, so I do deserve some dignity! I don't mind the rumors, but I hate it when the manager is sitting there spreading them along with those they favor over others! When someone calls in sick, and they sound terrible over the phone, don't shun that person! I am a monitor, and the main part of my job requires me to speak! I lost my voice to the point that I couldn't even talk! And when I returned to work, people gave me either the cold shoulder and/or icy glares... Just because I called in sick due to me losing my voice! Trainers NEED to follow the guidelines to the exact point! Just because they have a higher ranking don't mean they can get away with things. And last, but not least, there has to be a bigger rewarding system for the actual employees who're working hard and actually showing it amongst the children... It's sad how trainers and those working in the offices are rewarded more then those who're on the bus with the kids and are not noticed for their hard work, detication, and cooperation with the rules and regulations of the company.