FirstMerit - Great expectations for employees, but relatively poor support,compensation, and leadership. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for FirstMerit

"Great expectations for employees, but relatively poor support,compensation, and leadership."

Former Employee - Teller in Medina, OH
Former Employee - Teller in Medina, OH

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Serving customers is generally a joy. There are a lot of people that don't know any better than to use a credit union.

Cons

The teller system is easily the worst in the industry. It is literally the only bank still using MSDos. Expectations are high to sell, sell, sell. If you don't, expect to get squeezed out. There is always someone looking over your shoulder. If you don't get it right - expect to hear about it. Mission Onward was marketed as some sort of pro-worker program, but turned out to be the end for well over 300 jobs.

Advice to Management

How about a new teller system? It would make for a more humane and productive workplace. It's the right thing to do - even if it doesn't look good for profits-and-losses. People would appreciate if wages weren't the bottom rung of the industry.

Other Employee Reviews for FirstMerit

"sales sales sales customer service non existant"

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in Aurora, IL

I worked at FirstMerit full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Close to my home. Really that is it.

Cons

We are nothing but your G number. You are expected to sell sell sell, but your products are the worst. I have 16 yrs banking experience.this is by far the worst company I ever worked for. Could not give your employees a increase but managment did. My branch manager was clueless, she thought calling people honey would get her by and it worked. Teller system is ancient update!!!!!

Advice to Management

Get a clue! appreciate your staff and your branches are vacant. Staff your branches.

2. "I love my job and my employer, I've never been happier at work"

Current Employee - Senior Banking Assistant in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Banking Assistant in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at FirstMerit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My co-workers are spectacular, they have a knack for hiring just the right people for the job.

Cons

We have a tendency to get wrapped up in the process and procedure rather than the customer experience, it can be hard to convince a customer that we are the best bank to work with when we can't get out of our own way sometimes.

Advice to Management

Continue to take notice of the employees who do a good job, a little recognition can go a long way in employee retention. A happy employee will lead to happy customers.