Fisher Investments - What's all the moaning about? I love it here. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fisher Investments

"What's all the moaning about? I love it here."

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Decent pay, bright, motivated co-workers

Cons

Micro-management can be over the top.

Advice to Management

Let us do our job. Don't up the pressure in a tough time.

Other Employee Reviews for Fisher Investments

"Impersonal and greed-fueled business model equates to epic fail."

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in San Mateo, CA

Pros

As an entry level employee at Fisher, you're given more responsibility than you'd encounter at most similar positions with other firms. The pay is also decent for an entry level position ($50,000 starting pay for associates), though when you factor in the required 50 hour work week, the pay becomes much less spectacular. Promotions also come with significant pay increases, but as another reviewer stated, advancement is dependent on whether or not you drink the Kool-Aid, rather than on merit or experience. The benefits aren't bad (good medical plans that the firm pays for in full, 50% 401k match) though dental and vision "insurance" is essentially the firm reimbursing you for anything you have done, and the annual maximum amount allowed is staggeringly low. Good relationships forged with coworkers.

Cons

The parking situation is atrocious (nearly everyone but management has to park off-site the majority of the time, adding another 30 minutes on to the commute once you factor in shuttles), the work week is long (50 hours) and it's required. Believe it or not, you actually clock in and out and you're paid on an hourly structure, which is ridiculous. The firm employs a vision and values that are crammed down your throat at every opportunity, and the only people that advance are those that buy into this creed and integrate it into everything they do at the firm. The firm places absolutely no value on higher education, choosing instead to have individuals with zero relevant experience making big decisions (and absurd salaries) and serving in roles that should be filled by experienced individuals with advanced degrees and training. In principle, their desire to foster breadth and depth in their employees is a good idea, but in practice it fails. They foster an environment of fear, in which most employees are hesitant to admit any mistakes, and the majority of management isn't sympathetic to the plights of those at the associate level. Granted, nearly every workplace involves a certain amount of "politics", but the culture here is saturated with it. As another reviewer stated, it's easy to forge strong relationships with coworkers, but management couldn't be more impersonal. Employee morale is generally low; while eating lunch with coworkers on a daily basis, most of the conversation is dominated by gripes, irritating, and anger about the firm and its management. It's reasonable to assume this is a common occurrence throughout the firm, particularly on the associate level.

Advice to Management

Your greed has become exceedingly blatant in that if you put anywhere near as much money, time and effort into quality of service as you do into in-your-face, staggeringly unprofessional marketing and advertising, you wouldn't be experiencing half of the problems you currently are. Disdain for senior management, your Kool-Aid creed, and for mistreatment of associates is a steadily-growing festering wound, and unless you find some way to drastically turn things around, your firm is doomed. The industry buzz says the same.

"A great place for a long career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodside, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodside, CA

Pros

I started at Fisher as a CSA (entry level) at about the same time as the previous poster, and we probably had the exact same job. Without going into too much detail, I am still at Fisher, still very happy, and have since worked in several different areas, not just sales or operations. There is huge opportunity for career advancement. Most of the people I started with, in the same job, have been promoted within the firm, or have rotated to a different department. It's true there is high turnover in the first 12 months, which is true for any finance or money management firm. But turnover after 12 months is basically non-existent, again because of the opportunity for advancement. Keep in mind, of the three co-presidents, one started as a CSA (as I did) and the other in entry-level trading. Not everybody is cut out for someplace that is competitive, so I can understand why people who didn't make it might be upset. Incidentally Fisher made BusinessWeek's top 100 places to launch a career based on compensation and opportunity, which is something to be proud of.

Cons

I suppose I'd prefer if we had an office in downtown San Francisco for a shorter commute for me personally. But the benefits far outweigh the convenience for me of a shorter commute.

Advice to Management

We opened an office recently outside Vancouver, Washington, which is nice for people who'd like to buy a home outside of California, where it's very expensive. No state income tax in Washington. I'd like to see more offices in more no income tax states. Texas would be nice for the warm weather.