Fisher Investments - Not Good | Glassdoor

"Not Good"

Current Employee - Investment Counselor in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Investment Counselor in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company is like the D-League

Cons

Plenty of Cons... where to start

Advice to Management

Learn how to manage

Other Employee Reviews for Fisher Investments

"Hands down the most miserable work experience in my life"

Current Employee - Investment Counselor in Woodside, CA
    Current Employee - Investment Counselor in Woodside, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people I worked with were cool. Not much else positive for me to say after that.
    Paid me money while I interviewed and got a job at a legit bulge bracket.
    Some people would say that the 8 hour work day is a pro. I would say so if I didn't dread going in the next day and just hate my life while I was there. Thank goodness I am out of that black hole of intelligence and free will.

Cons

The company breeds arrogance and hubris that is not deserved. Ken Fisher is not a legend in the industry. He is a wealthy man who has build a great marketing machine but that does not mean the Investment Policy Committee and Ken should be put up on pedestals.
    They hire a lot of kids out of college and mold them into little clones. If these kids were to go to another firm, I believe they would have a hard time adapting and being successful because they have been so screwed up by Fisher.
    They operate in a manner that is inconsistent with the high level of ethics that they preach. For example, when I worked there, management came out with a center of influence questionnaire- asking clients who they knew (politicians, lawyers, etc). If they knew someone you were required to run it up to management. Management would then go through a separate process for the allocation of the clients funds. Invariably, the allocation would come back more conservative than it would have otherwise.
    Another example is that they removed volatility from the plans that the portfolio analysis team would put out. They claimed it wasn't very accurate and it shouldn't be relied on. When it was pointed out that they felt comfortable relying on the performance numbers that the plans had in them management fell silent.
    Finally they spend millions of dollars a year in SEO to bury anything negative about them on the web.

They claim to outperform the market but the S&P has handily outperformed them since inception and while they benchmark against the MSCI World I would imagine that they are underperforming that benchmark too. Ask them about 2012 performance.

Advice to Management

I would advise that you stop thinking you are so superior to other firms. You need to step out of line and question what is going on v. being a spineless yes man.

"pretty good experience"

Former Employee - Client Services in Camas, WA
    Former Employee - Client Services in Camas, WA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- great coworkers
    - not super competitive, but definitely room to stand out
    - excellent benefits
    - management is understanding about PTO and is flexible
    - company culture is one that promotes from within

Cons

- CSA is kind of a pit of doom and is very punitive