Fisher Investments - A very disappointing experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fisher Investments

"A very disappointing experience"

Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Camas, WA
Current Employee - Client Service Associate in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits 401K, health plan, dental and visual. The pay is okay for the work you do as a CSA but low for the industry.

The company is growing at a very fast rate. It is very willing to try new test and experiments to become a better company. There are a lot of job of lateral opportunities within the firm. Very client focused. I heard it is not so bad outside sales and client service departments. They are trying to get better and the company is full of young people.

Cons

I did not believe the reviews when I first applied for Fisher Investments. Please believe me when I say they are very true. Stay away from CSA or sales. Turnover is very large for a reason.

The culture is all about extreme micromanagement, secrets and lack of privacy. I learned to be successful in the role once I learned how to be scared and micromanaged by many people in the department.

Although management will publicly states they care about their employees their actions do not back up their words. During my time as a CSA, I was thrown under the bus multiple times, forced to point fingers, got yelled at multiple times, had to argue with Investment Councilors ( every day) and had threats directed towards me. I set up multiple meetings with my manager to discuss this information but they made it seem like it was my fault or I was not pushing hard enough. A manager can manage without experiencing the role in the past. All the dark water goes to the bottom. It is always the CSAs fault. It was not until my third manager in 6 months that I felt someone wanted to help me be successful and wanted to collaborate with me to help our clients.

PTO: You are forced to take PTO for any time you are away from your desk. I pulled aside for a quick meeting with my manager because it became an issue that I was 3 minutes late to my desk. She later announced in our team meeting to submit PTO if we were away from our desk for more than 5 minutes. You will not get any sick days and you will be expected to work during a holiday.

Job Description: this was the true deal breaker for me. Fisher Investments will try to sell you the CSA role as an Investment Associate role. They will be very vague about the job description during the interview process and they will even mislead you to believe you will learn about investments. My day to day work consisted of filling out paperwork, creating cover letters, and sending out correspondence. All your work will be checked by your mentor, your manager, the investment councilor and the review team before it goes out to the client. You do not need a college degree to do the work of a CSA. Your performance statistics will be affected if a fax does not go through or if you forgot a period on a document. CSAs live in daily fear of making a small mistake like not checking off a box. You are more or less a glorified secretary but less trusted than one. Although the company works will securities and investments a CSA will rarely ever learn or hear anything about stocks, finance, economics, the market or how the company picks out securities. You will be expected to spend almost 2 years of your life filling out paperwork before you move to another department.

Compensation: low for the industry. Although it was more of a personal experience they lied about bonus percentage during the interview and while I was working.

Location: remote location. Most people live in Vancouver WA but its just a bunch of poor suburbs. Winter weather is horrible. You wont see the sun for 2 weeks at a time.

Advice to Management

Do not just focus on the clients. Focus on your employees and the effect this aggressive culture has on them. The culture needs to become constructive and collaborative. Support and trust your employees not punish them.

Other Employee Reviews for Fisher Investments

"Miserable place"

Former Employee - Investment Associate in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Investment Associate in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits: 401k matching, good health, vision, and dental benefits (no additional perks though)
    Co-workers: Many people here are are genuinely nice to work with
    Workday: No work on weekends

Cons

Believe the stories.
    I thought these reviews were ridiculously far-fetched when I interviewed, only to find, to my horror, that they are all true.

Culture: This firm does not care about its employees. Fisher condones and supports hostile behavior. I have witnessed and experienced obscenities, degradation, backstabbing, finger-pointing, and threats directed toward me and my coworkers. Management will not defend you, they will tell you it's your fault. Fisher is built on a web of lies and secrecy. Everything you do is policed by your manager and other departments. For associates, tenured advisers or sales people will report you to your manager for a scolding if they are even the slightest bit displeased with your work. You will be treated like a child, they will demand you to perform and work over capacity without any extra compensation. When you leave, Fisher will not provide any recommendations. So no matter how well you did, they won't say squat about you if you pursue roles elsewhere.

Hours: 50+ hour weeks, which is not too bad, but there is no flexibility. You will need to request PTO from your manager to take off 30 minutes early to make a doctors appointment. Hours are also very early (7AM-5PM, 6:30AM-4:30PM, 5:30AM-3:30PM). You will also often not have enough time to take lunch, this is frowned upon as those who take lunch are considered to have no "will-do" attitude.

PTO: There is not enough. 15 days PTO includes both holidays, sick days, personal days, everything. If you run out of PTO and are sick, you will not be paid. Expect to work through holidays (Christmas Eve, Black Friday, New Years Eve, etc...)

Work: If you were sold as an "Investment Associate" like me, you will be shocked to find that your work will consist of creating paperwork, filing paperwork, and calling clients about paperwork. It's more customer service representative than any type of investment role. This is not a true finance firm, there is no "prestige" in working here as another (corporate-sponsored) "reviewer" claimed. No one on Wall Street has ever heard of Fisher Investments. As a college-graduate, I am embarrassed to speak about my work with friends, as it is extremely menial and unrewarding. Depending on who you're working with, forgetting a middle initial on one form can get you a conversation the GVP. The stress level for some associate groups are also very high. You will be asked to churn out more than you can handle. Some managers are terrible, stealing credit for your work, lying to you for their gain, throwing you under the bus so they can look better to upper management.

Fisher=Misery

Advice to Management

Stop doing all this to your employees. It's terrible.

"Fairness in an unfair world"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camas, WA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fisher is a relatively good place to work. They believe that a career is based on relative experience and not $100K in student debt. That ideal alone is a breath of fresh air in this world of fraud that tells us we must continue to achieve higher education to be qualified for opportunities. Fisher is one of the most efficiently managed companies I have ever encountered. Aside from the countless ridiculous "tests" that are run to essentially confirm widely held facts, Fisher has it's stuff together. They are positioned incredibly well in the industry for continued growth both domestically and abroad. Now is a good time to join the company. The benefits are also very good. Not as "amazing" as they'll tell you, but still definitely above average.

Cons

- Lack of adequate vacation/sick days
    - Lack of internet access (trust your employees already, will ya?)
    - Red tape that prohibits implementation of ideas
    - Inability to think outside the box on a few internal processes

Advice to Management

You've achieved a very advantageous position in the market through past success but you must realize that the tricks used in the past will not continue with the new wave of hundreds of young employees coming onboard that don't necessarily share the same values and beliefs that you do. Adapting and changing to the current and future environment proactively is the key to continued future success.