Fisher Investments - Downhill since 2008 | Glassdoor

"Downhill since 2008"

Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter/Sales in San Mateo, CA
Former Employee - Corporate Recruiter/Sales in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started at Fisher in 2004 and loved it until 2008. Stayed til 2011 in hopes of it getting better, which it never did. It went downhill... fast.

- 401k match was good
- pay was decent for entry level
- they take entry level folks without finance backgrounds, great for building "business accumen"... but that's about it.

Cons

- culture of absolute FEAR.
- TL (team leader) level has NO management capabilities, all of them are 20-something year olds in suits.
- GVP (group vice pres.) not much better, skill wise. They're all just a part of the "bro club"
- 50 hour weeks, built into a "salary"... if you do not work 50 hours/week, you will not get that salary you signed for on your offer
- you become a jack of all trades, an expert at NONE
- limited mobility outside of the company (see previous note)
- good luck taking PTO...
- did not treat employees like adults, but rather like children
- lots of "because i said so" reasoning behind things

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Recognize them for the good work they're doing. Allow them to build a CAREER, not to run your factory of employees. Company culture needs MAJOR help. Realize that your employees have made you successful.

Other Employee Reviews for Fisher Investments

"Horrible Management"

Current Employee - Client Service Associate in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Client Service Associate in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Fisher Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great colleagues. I have made friends that I will keep in touch with once I quit. They have good benefits and salary is good for a first job out of college. Also you do not have to work more than 10 hours in the day. Partial PTO does not count against your PTO hours.

Cons

Management is horrible. The managers have no training and it shows. The company culture is based off of fear and they do not value the work that the employees put in. There are also no team building activities.

Advice to Management

Have more training for the managers and team building activities.

"You'll walk away knowing a lot about operational procedures, but that's about it."

Former Employee - Client Service Associate/Institutional Sales
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate/Institutional Sales

I worked at Fisher Investments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I intentionally held off writing a review immediately after I left Fisher for a couple reasons - one, I didn't want my written feedback to show signs of malice toward the company and two, I was interested in seeing what skill sets transferred to a new firm within the investment industry.

I agree with most of the less favorable reviews, but with one caveat. Now having worked at another firm for over a year I find it surprisingly ironic that what made me leave Fisher, actually has helped me in ways I didn't expect.

I'd wager if you ctrl. "F"d the word fear in these reviews your page would suddenly be highlighted by yellow - now try searching for kool aid.

Clearly former employees, me being one of them, have proven the perpetual state of paranoia is in fact a symptom from drinking the Fisher kool aid. The active ingredient to this kool aid is a heavy dose of fear.

Fear drives results in this company, and it drives employees away from this company. Wait for it...a pro is coming out of this response, I promise. Fear somehow seeps it's way into every nook and cranny of this organization. I was fearful of my managers, because my managers were fearful of their managers, who were fearful of their managers...you get the point. I was so worried about messing up that I had to come up with processes that forced me to triple check everything, every single thing. One could be certain that any mistake would be reflected in my paycheck. And my manager made sure it was reflected in my paycheck because if it wasn't, he/she knew his/her manager would be asking why.

The point I'm trying to make is the micro-management, the red tape, the finger pointing, the fear induced stress that percolates through every fiber of "The Fish" is what drove me away. But what it also did, was force me to create and fine tune processes that I now use everyday. And made me realize what being detail oriented actually means - Bingo, transferable skill set!

Sure, I'm now in a perpetual state of paranoia, and should have probably signed up for a counseling session or two, but best believe my current boss sleeps at night knowing my name and "slipped through the cracks" never show up in the same sentence.

If you're young, and you want your first job out of college to be around a bunch of other young people similar to yourself, it can be a good gig for a little while. As you move around Fisher internally, whether it be sales, marketing, research, client facing, portfolio analytics, you'll find each position requires a lot of operational/admin work. Operational backgrounds are good building blocks when you first start out in any industry, and they're often under appreciated because surprise, surprise, it's all the back end stuff that nobody sees.

Cons

If investing is your passion, and you want to be in research, don't apply here. If you want to be in institutional financial sales, don't apply here. If you want to get your CFA, CAIA, CIMA etc. don't apply here.

Advice to Management

Listen to your current employees, don't read reviews about tainted former employees. Should be a no brainer.