Fisher Investments - Reap What You Sow | Glassdoor

"Reap What You Sow"

Current Employee - Investment Counselor in Woodside, CA
Current Employee - Investment Counselor in Woodside, CA

Pros

A few years ago, I began a new career with Fisher Investments. From the beginning, one drastic and much appreciated change from my previous employers is the energetic and team oriented work environment. It also became clear – and is still true to this day – that the firm encourages employees to pursue opportunities around the firm. Even if it’s a completely different department or career track.

Cons

Some of the jobs can be very fast paced and you assume great responsibility for yourself and the work you do. This is perfect for self-motivated individuals but not for people who simply want to show up. The company works off of a meritocracy system with strong competition, which means you need to bring your best every day.

Advice to Management

Employees become comfortable and connected to their teams. This is a unique culture and should be a continued emphasis of the firm. Continue to communicate openly with employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Fisher Investments

"Good so far."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Great benefits, open atmosphere. My boss has meetings all the time to keep me informed of the markets and any other information I should be aware of.

Cons

Limited internet, some associates not qualified while other who are very talented toil in obscurity.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to the talent you have.

"10+ years"

Current Employee - Manager in Woodside, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Woodside, CA

Pros

I am a long-time Fisher Investments employee (10+ years), and there’s a reason I’ve stayed so long. I have a great deal of experience in the Financial Services industry – I’ve worked for both large and small firms – so I have perspective on opportunities available in this industry. Simply put, Fisher Investments offers a stimulating, rewarding work environment but perhaps most importantly: the chance to learn. I’ve learned more in my time at Fisher than at the rest of my positions within the industry combined. Not only does the environment foster continued learning about the capital markets and industry as a whole, the firm also allows and even encourages people to move into different roles to learn about all aspects of the firm. This is a very unusual approach: take those who are performing well and allow them to move to a completely different area of the firm if they choose to. And I’m not just referring to managers – this concept applies to everyone, even those at the associate level. The results are well-rounded employees who have broad perspectives and satisfying careers for those who want to branch out and experience new positions. No one is forced to gain this breadth, but for those with interest – and for those who have demonstrated success in their current roles – it’s fully supported by Management. This can be quite an opportunity, not only for someone starting their career but really for anyone who wants to broaden their knowledge.

Cons

Is there a downside to all this? Yes – it’s not easy. You simply can’t coast at this firm. It’s a very successful company and if you contribute to that success, you will be successful too. But the opposite is also true. Opportunities are available based on hard work and performance. It can seem harsh to those not used to that kind of competitive environment. It’s not for everyone, and that’s fine. But for those wanting to challenge themselves and learn, it’s an amazing opportunity in my opinion.

Advice to Management

The firm does a nice job of keeping employees informed about the general direction of the company, rather than just the details of each individual’s department. Keep this communication coming, as it’s vital for employees to feel not only informed but also connected.