Five Below - Low quality products/employees | Glassdoor

"Low quality products/employees"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mansfield, MA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mansfield, MA

I have been working at Five Below part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Inexpensive products
 Each item is under $5, good assortment of products
 Great place to bring your kids to get them excited

- Most of the employees are willing to give you their employee discount ID if management is not around

- Long store hours

- Your uniform consists of t-shirt and jeans

Cons

- Training is almost non-existent. Upon hiring, you are put on a register with a 10 minute crash course on how to use the system. After that you're on your own

- Discouragement, put downs, and demeaning behavior when you make a mistake

- Employees will openly disrespect customers they don't like. These same employees are the ones that completely disregard the 5-Below employee code of conduct (wearing facial piercings, pocketing loose items, using profane language in the presence of customers, etc)

- Management consists of a manager, assistant manager, and a few 'key holders'. The management will generally hang out in back while they stick the new associate up front by themselves

- No career advancements. You'll be lucky to get 10 hours a week.

Advice to Management

At some point your company may take a wrong step and end up in a avalanche of lawsuits, it might be a good idea to get more lawyers

Other Employee Reviews for Five Below

"Five Below is a bad place to work"

Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Assistant Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Five Below full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young culture
    Growing company
    Fun people
    Great location

Cons

Poor management
    No clear career path
    No clear job descriptions

Advice to Management

Focus more on your current employees - not only when it comes to promoting from within, but also on their happiness. Get rid of merchandise managers that don't know how to manage people

"Great for someone with no job experience."

Former Employee - Cashier in Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Cashier in Bloomfield Hills, MI

I worked at Five Below part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This was a great experience for someone like me without job experience. I had nice managers who were kind and respectable. Great atmosphere and generally worked with nice people. They didn't treat us like we were beneath them and treated us as their equal. They also did not punish us severely when we made a mistake. You can wear jeans and you get a 20% discount. Good company, but could be great.

Cons

- Its basically an on-call job. They have you on call more than you actually work. I worked once a week on average, twice if I was lucky. I didn't work for two weeks in a row once. For the most part I'm on call which is frustrating especially since I'm a student trying to finish school.

-They don't train very well. Found myself making a lot of mistakes because of lack of training.

-If you work till close, be prepared. You may technically get off at 10, but you'll be working past that sometimes.

-They don't respect you job availability. They pretty much schedule you wherever they want to.They put me down for days that I wrote I wasn't available and got upset when you told them you couldn't work. Not good for someone who is still in high school/college, has a second job or children to take care of. On top of that you have to call ahead or stop by to figure out what your schedule is every week.

-You cannot void anything on your own at the register. You have to call the manager. Also, instead of scanning items and it coming up on the screen, some items are not in the system and you have to do an item description search, which Its annoying and it wastes a lot of time. You shouldn't have to describe an item to find it in the system, it should just be there when you scan it.

Advice to Management

Start actually catering to your employees. You guys get your shifts but your employees don't. We would actually put forth more effort and show up to work if you gave us shifts. Happy employees, happy customers. Also, instead of having 1 associate and another manager on a shift, you could at least schedule 2 or 3 associates on a shift. That way you don't have to frantically call and search for people to come in.