Flagstaff Unified School District #1 - Worst pay in the State for teachers | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Flagstaff Unified School District #1

"Worst pay in the State for teachers"

Current Employee - Teacher
Current Employee - Teacher

Pros

I love the students, and there are many great teachers at my school. Also, the parents are great. This district supports its teachers with extremely high levels of technology, which is great.

Cons

The pay is very low compared to other districts. Top heavy administration that is rude to teachers. Pink slipped every year for six years. Focus is on the district administration building and its employees rather than the classrooms. Too much focus on school sports, not enough on arts and other electives. No raise (not even a cost of living one,) in five years.

Advice to Management

We need more dollars in the classroom and fewer at Sparrow Avenue. Read the last audit and actually act on it. Clerks and others at the district office need to know that their role is working to support classrooms- stop being rude to teachers! Without teachers, none of those folks would have jobs to begin with. Some of them shouldn't probably have jobs anyway....

Other Employee Reviews for Flagstaff Unified School District #1

"FUSD FACTS Program"

Former Employee - FACTS Site Manager/Team Leader in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - FACTS Site Manager/Team Leader in San Diego, CA

I worked at Flagstaff Unified School District #1 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My staff and coworkers were fantastic. My immediate supervisor was helpful and very supportive. The main boss was only okay, but I did not have to work with him often so it was fine. When I really needed something, he'd help.

Cons

Not the best pay. For all that you do, you deserve to be paid more. Make sure you try and start with a higher pay because getting bumped up after that, unless you're in school, is extremely difficult.

2. "Challenging, satisfying work as a Para Professional with special needs students"

Former Employee - Special Needs Parapro in Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Special Needs Parapro in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Flagstaff Unified School District #1 full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Every day you show up and are able to contribute to improving the quality of life for these students. The days are usually 6 hours, which I found very desirable. The work is interesting, and you really can say "never a dull moment".

Cons

When I left this job in 2014, the district was trying to only hire staff for a number of hours that would not qualify them for benefits. This resulted in very few applicants. As staff shrunk, the duties of each one of us became heavier and more overwhelming.

Advice to Management

The staff in the administrative level of the special needs department needs to be much more visible and helpful to those who are in the classrooms. We had a very bad experience with a high level person coming to visit our classroom. They had been scheduled to come observe for two hours. They came very late to the appointment and left within 10 minutes, waving at us from the doorway and saying, "You're doing such a great job." The unspoken message was "you don't need any more help in here, you guys are doing wonderful." It was very discouraging and unkind, because the appointment had been set up so that we could demonstrate the overwhelming conditions we had in the classroom and that we did need additional help.