Flagstar Bank - Ok employer | Glassdoor

"Ok employer"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Troy, MI
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Troy, MI

I have been working at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and benefits. Interest-bearing employee checking account. Great people!

Cons

Little room for upward mobility. I worked for 2.5 years, was always praised as being the best customer service representative and always chosen to accept additional responsibility, yet when the opportunity for promotions came up, someone with less experience and education was always selected.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities for upward mobility. Realize that you have a wealth of knowledge and talent in-house.

Other Employee Reviews for Flagstar Bank

"Michigan owned and operated!"

Former Employee - Loss Mitigation in Troy, MI
    Former Employee - Loss Mitigation in Troy, MI

I worked at Flagstar Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Actually a good company overall. Michigan based company ran and operated by people who actually live in Michigan. I was promoted twice in two years. The opportunity for growth was present, there were always employees transfering departments. Great cafeteria with staff chefs and cooks, flat screen tv's, barbeque cookouts in the summer. Overtime. Really a lot of nice perks.

Cons

While the opportunity for growth was there....the pay for performance was severely lacking. While I was promoted twice in a short period of time, I was kept at the same pay grade. Most people within the company were unhappy with their job. Upper Management puts unnecessary pressure on its lower management and that just trickles down to the common employees. Smoke breaks given to people to smoke, but if you do not smoke, do not expect a break other than your lunch. If you called in sick, your manager would call you back and ask what was wrong, why you were taking the day off. Very little respect for work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to the empolyees, if you give them more freedom, they will perform better.

"I was promoted from within and given room to grow, but remain very underpaid and slightly overworked."

Current Employee - Unix Systems Administrator in Troy, MI
    Current Employee - Unix Systems Administrator in Troy, MI

Pros

New hires are generally well paid and given opportunities to establish themselves. Support for training and professional development is also generally high. The bank is also frequently investigating or implementing new systems to bolster it's mortgage and lending platforms.

Cons

At times management and it's actions completely disconnect from reality in the IT department. IT makes solving problems long term very difficult. I can't speak for banking. The new management seems to be aligning the banking and lending arms with the needs of small businesses and mortgage consumers well.

Advice to Management

This company used to have a very "Family Owned" feel to it. There were minor social events which brought the various people and areas of the bank together, if only briefly. I know the more sarcastic employees scoffed at these gestures, but they did have an impact on overall morale and the familiarity of people within various business groups.