Flexport - A Growing a World-Class, Customer Centric Business as it Scales | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "Meaning: We are making global trade easier for everyone" (in 10 reviews)

• "We hire very smart people that are also super down to earth" (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be an issue depending on what function you're in" (in 9 reviews)

• "long hours, distracting work environment, very high learning curve" (in 8 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"A Growing a World-Class, Customer Centric Business as it Scales"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Flexport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have gotten the opportunity to work with some of the smartest people I've ever met, who are also mobilized to act to take care of and delight our customers in an industry that isn't doing that right now. We are a team that aims to be the best counterparty in every transaction - for customers of course, but also vendors, suppliers, investors, regulators and - most relevant to this site, employees. Flexport has shown over and over that they are the best place I could possibly be and they do that by offering a great place to work, massive growth potential, competitive salary and fringe benefits and the ability to do some of the best work in my career. Off the charts awesome place to work if you are top talent.

Cons

If you are not top talent, this is probably not the place for you, at least at this point. The people here are extremely smart, talented, hard working and customer focused. If that's not you, that's fine, but Flexport may be a difficult environment.

Advice to Management

Keep on making this a better company relentlessly. Complacency is our biggest enemy and the longer we avoid that the better. Mediocrity is the next biggest enemy. If we focus on every day as day 1, we'll keep them at bay for a long time to come.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"Decentralized and encourages learning and development"

I have been working at Flexport full-time

Pros

* Intersection of Logistics and Technology
    * Great leadership and a supportive board
    * Passionate People
    * Intellectually curious and hyper-focused
    * Freedom to adapt process
    * Smart people from all backgrounds, because we don’t know the answer

Cons

Some are so career hungry it can become selfish. People Ops is young and is terrible with career negotiations. Commercial Ops is slow and cannot figure out bonus structures and incentives until it's 2 months late

Advice to Management

Continue moving people quickly when they've performed and trust them. Figure out commercial ops, it's a mess. Pay the people. We will win with tech, pay them the highest in the bay and we will win.

Flexport Response

Feb 12, 2019 – Recruiting Programs Partner, Employer Brand

Thanks for taking the time to share your honest feedback. As you mentioned, we are excited to be at the intersection of logistics and technology. Our mission is to make global trade easy for everyone... More

"Best sales environment I’ve ever encountered."

Current Employee - Global Account Executive
    Current Employee - Global Account Executive

I have been working at Flexport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) People: Your coworkers are very driven, talented and interesting. They make you better just by being around them. Everyone is helpful and wants you to be successful. There are activities and events to give you opportunities to socialize with co workers.

2) Growth: You get to learn about an entirely new industry and will have a deeper understanding about how the world works. This industry is going through a transformation and you are getting in on the ground floor. If you love learning and are curious this is the place for you.

3) Work Life Balance: You actually get to use your unlimited vacation and not just for short trips but multi-week trips.

I feel a little sorry for my co workers who have joined Flexport right out of school because it is going to be very hard to top this work experience.

Cons

Change: This is not a con as much as a warning. During the interview process you will hear that things change fast and you need to be okay with that. Really make sure that you are good with change because things change often.

Variation In Experience: My experience has be awesome, but experience varies significantly between business units and offices.

Transparency: This is continually getting better, but one area where it needs to improve is the comp plans for each sale market segment and managers. No visibility into how managers are compensated.

Advice to Management

Set the correct expectations with employees during the interview process, do not promises things far out into the future like promotions within a year. That may have been true at the time but we are growing so fast that we cannot make promises that far out.

Continue to figure out the real reason customers are buying, it is clear that people don’t know.

Continue to drive transparency, diversity and inclusion.

Continue to drive standards in the squads.

You are focused on all the right things, just need to execute on them.

Discover more reviews about Flexport.