Flixster - One of the best places for an engineer to learn and grow | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Flixster

"One of the best places for an engineer to learn and grow"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Flixster full-time

Pros

* Completely open culture where everyone is encouraged to give their coworkers regular feedback, so you don't have that fear and uncertainty about how you're doing. The engineering managers are fun, sincere, communicative people on top of being brilliant and hardworking. They genuinely want to help you improve your professional / life skills.

* Smart technical colleagues you can approach to discuss any problem you have, and they often suggest sexy new technologies that might help you out.

* Autonomy, opportunities to take lead on high-profile projects and easy to transition between teams / projects. I can't speak for the non-engineering side of the company, but everyone at engineering seems very satisfied.

Cons

* No free lunches or company-sponsored happy hours / ski trips (they will sponsor those trips and outings if you volunteer to organize them though.) This is probably balanced out by our complete flexibility like working from home and taking half-days for doctor appointments, taking care of kids, etc.

* Partnering with 3rd-party companies who are less efficient than we are, can be frustrating.

* This is obvious but Flixster is not a rocket ship like AirBnb or Facebook was. Flixster will compensate you well and give lots of bonuses, but it's no longer a million-dollar lottery ticket to an IPO, if that's what you're looking for.

Advice to Management

As we expand and hire more people, try not to lose that close communication we've enjoyed over past years.

Other Employee Reviews for Flixster

"A special place full of passionate people working on really fun products"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Flixster is a different kind of startup with a handful of really successful products. The managers and engineers are never content, and are constantly pushing themselves to stay ahead. Attrition rate here is extremely low, and everyone is generally awesome and happy.

Cons

The company is famously frugal, although everyone has a great sense of humor about it. Agreeing with earlier posts, the office building and furniture are over due for some upgrades.

2. "Very top notch internship program"

Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Former Intern - Software Engineering Intern in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Flixster as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Several mentors who are very supportive in having you do projects you would like to do and helping with career advancement
    Get to watch movies before they are released!
    Stocked Kitchen (Free drinks, breakfast, snacks, coffee)
    Macbook Pro or Lenovo Thinkpad (+ RAM boost)
    CEO tried to get to know me--tried to get me interested in a full-time job
    Engineering Management paid lunch to talk with us
    Culture: breakfast, lunch paid on first and last days of internship
    Coworkers from Stanford, Harvard, MIT, UC Berkeley, etc.

Cons

No Zip Line
    I don't drink but my coworkers do
    Seriously, none that I can think of

Advice to Management

None