Florida Coastal School of Law - Great work place | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

"Great work place"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant
Current Employee - Administrative Assistant

I have been working at Florida Coastal School of Law full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong culture and values and friendly work environment

Cons

I wish there were more opportunities for growth

Advice to Management

None

Other Employee Reviews for Florida Coastal School of Law

1. "Learning and Growing"

Current Employee - Director in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Director in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Coastal School of Law full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I wake up most mornings and look forward to the work day, and I attribute that to:

1. The People and Culture
    2. The Challenges
    3. The Focus on Strategy and Planning

The current team is lean, yet includes some of the most interesting, intelligent, funny, engaging and emotionally intelligent people with whom I have ever worked. All team members participate in EQ (Emotional Intelligence) workshops, and while some grumble about this, there is a palpable difference between the culture here and other places I have worked. Of course it is not perfect here; we have our struggles, things don't go as planned, decisions could have made in different/better ways, but that is true for any organization. Because we are lean, team members are given opportunities to step outside their comfort zone and tackle tasks and projects new to them - with the peace of mind that leadership supports you trying/growing/learning. I have learned so much about strategy and planning; how to take a lofty goal and break it into manageable pieces via detailed action plans.

Cons

Oddly, my main con also sits on my pros list: The Challenges. External perspectives of our school sometimes skew negative, and I think it can be demoralizing for team members to hear those negative things about our school (e.g., in the media) -- especially if they aren't true, or the whole story isn't told.

Advice to Management

Foster a 'safe' environment for team members to grow and learn without fear of reprisal. One effect of us being lean, is that many of us are wearing multiple hats, taking on new/additional tasks/projects, implementing new ideas, pushing our professional boundaries ... and it can be scary and exhausting. Our workloads are high, but if you keep us engaged with the vision of where we want to be when we get to the other side, many of us are willing to do what it takes.

There are MANY meetings, and often the same information is repeated in front of the same people. Take into account the TIME required to run reports, pull together presentations, etc. and consider if there are more effective ways of handling meetings to give team members more time in their work to produce the work products for which they are responsible.

2. "Senior Director"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Florida Coastal School of Law full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Florida Coastal has a very strong culture and expectation that all team members act with emotional intelligence. Employees strongly believe in the vision and mission pillars and work together to reach optimal student outcomes.

Cons

Most law schools have downsized over the last few years. As organizations restructure, the workload can feel heavy for some. The good news is that Coastal has a strong team and people work together for common goals.

Advice to Management

Continue to lead with strong values and expectations.