Florida International University - Bad administration | Glassdoor

"Bad administration"

Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Miami, FL
Current Employee - Program Coordinator in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida International University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits as far as health, vacation, and sick.

Cons

The administration is horrible. You can spend weeks waiting for someone to turn a call or email. Students are definitely not a priority, the faculty are. Higher administration only cares about the amount of money faculty bring in, not the students. I had HUNDREDS of students walk into my office complaining that nobody is able to help them. No matter the department or office, students are thrown to the bottom. Staff does whatever they want as far as hours or vacation, because nobody cares. They take time off during the busiest time of the year or they show up to work at 11 am. It seems as if nobody really cared. If you ever want a raise....GOOD LUCK! That will never happen. After years of negotiation, the university finally increased our salaries by 1%!! It's absurd and insulting. Also, there is absolutely no space to grow.

Advice to Management

Maybe you should actually MANAGE. The way the university runs is horrible. The students should be priority, not you.

Other Employee Reviews for Florida International University

1. "Your experience will depend on the department"

Current Employee - Program Assistant in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Program Assistant in Miami, FL

I have been working at Florida International University part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people. Health insurance, training. I've been lucky., I worked with great people. I worked with the writing center, the English department and the Humanities center. All 3 departments have great training and awesome helpful people.

Cons

To be fair, I did not experience this myself. I'm just going by interactions I've seen between my peers and their management. My confusion? Some people in management shouldn't be there. Some departments have a petty and hostile environment. Others are just extremely lax. You end up doing the management's work in addition to your own.

Advice to Management

I'd advise administration to be a bit more careful about who gets promoted to management. Some people very obviously see other managers as competition and end up bickering more than working. Others see their employees as workhorses. It makes the experience at FIU inconsistent.

2. "Overall, I have a good experience working at FIU. But it also depends on the department you work in."

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Miami, FL

Pros

Its has good employee benefits, such as tuition waiver, low cost health insurance, opportunity to advance within the university. It is a good environment to work in.

Cons

Of course, salary is lower than in private organization in general. Salary increase is no less deceiving. You have to really fight for an increase, based on personal experience.

Advice to Management

Fight for a good raise for your employees when they work hard.