Florida State University - My experience was good, and I would definitely recommend it to other students as they work through school. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Florida State University

"My experience was good, and I would definitely recommend it to other students as they work through school."

Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Tallahassee, FL
Former Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Tallahassee, FL

I worked at Florida State University part-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a very flexible position that was easy to manage with my school work. As a research assistant, I was able to pull in a stipend while doing work that would help my resume.

Cons

While it was flexible with my schedule and somewhat related to my area of study, much of what I did was data entry and rather boring.

Other Employee Reviews for Florida State University

1. "Administration"

Current Employee - Office Assistant in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Office Assistant in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Florida State University part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice working environment, nice people. It can be as stable as you want. Routine work. Many people have been here for more than 20 years

Cons

salary is not very good. If you are looking for a well paid job, fsu might not be your choice. However, if you are experienced person, this will be different.

"Worse experience I have ever had after working for 5 educational institutions in 3 countries"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Florida State University full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only Pros in my position was the illusions of the beginning. Other positions like full faculties and staffs are full of benefits; but they make sure that the benefits remain only for them, so that they can shimmer it to tempory positions people, and exploit them as much as possible.

Cons

A world of modern slavery for postdocs. At FSU, they have a category of employees called OPS, with no benefit, and that can be fired at anytime even for no reason. They put most of the postdocs in that category. They don't mention it in the negociation nor in the offer and they don't give any documentation for the category; at least in my case. I found it for the first time on the pay check. Then I searched for the signification but it was too late, I was already in the position as an international postdoc with no possibility to change the employer without the agreement of the current employer. And there are many international people in similar situation. I found it ridiculous for a ranked University in US, to exploit the international people that way.
    - I am also impressed by the gossip: a professor always saying how bad are other people, how bad are other institutions.
    - It is the first time I found a distinguished professor spending most of his time digging into the private life of people with whom he works; investing a lot to find other people they meet, what they discuss, what they do of their free time. Inviting mutual acquaintance to dinner just to get more details. To compensate the time he spent in unuseful investigations, he overloads people with whom he works. Calling at night and during the week-end, hidding behind checking on them to give them extra work.
    - I was disapointed to hear a HR agent telling me that I am an OPS employee and can be fired at any time even for no reason. I understood that the system is build like that, and that it is not helpful to report any mistreatment to the HR.

Advice to Management

It maybe a good idea to look into the treatment of OPS and international postdocs who invest all their live in research and have no acknowledgement. I was disapointed to hear a HR agent telling me that I am an OPS employee and can be fired at any time even for no reason.