Focus Forward - Fine transcription job | Glassdoor

"Fine transcription job"

Pros

Flexible, you can dictate how much work you can take in a day/week/month, pay is decent for this type of work, some dictation files are interesting to listen to and transcribe

Cons

Not much communication with superiors, work isn't always consistent, ebbs/flows with workflow, audio quality of files is sometimes terrible, lots of files to be transcribed have people with accents that are difficult to understand

Advice to Management

More communication with your transcribers

Other Employee Reviews for Focus Forward

"Transcriber"

Former Employee - Transcriber in Yonkers, NY
    Former Employee - Transcriber in Yonkers, NY

Pros

Great work from home opportunity - great communication between yourself and proofreaders - literally make your own schedule including the number of hours you wish to work and on what days. Are able to review assignments before accepting them, to make sure that you are able to complete them (i.e., some foreign language accents may be difficult for you personally to transcribe accurately).

Cons

No real cons about working here. I didn't expect to move up or get a raise (or to have benefits included) as I worked as an independent contractor and pretty much controlled my own salary by taking on as much or as little work as possible.

Advice to Management

My only advice is to invest in better audio receiving equipment - transcribing can happen so much quicker if the audio has little to no distortions - which enables transcribers to take on more files and allows the company to take on more clients without having to hire more independent contractors.

2. "Slave-wage labor for college-educated employees"

Former Freelancer - Transcriptionist in Anacortes, WA
    Former Freelancer - Transcriptionist in Anacortes, WA

I worked at Focus Forward (Less than a year)

Pros

The staff I spoke to were friendly, easy to talk to, and offered the best advice they could on how to improve workflow when asked.

Cons

I did transcribing, and the pay was based on the amount of audio I was able to turn into typed words: roughly $10 for every 15 minutes of audio transcribed. I figured this would be a profitable endeavor given my consistent 60 word per minute typing speed and journalism background where transcribing was a regular part of my job. But even after the purchase of a footpedal to improve my transcribing speed by 25%, I still could only manage to transcribe 5 minutes of audio every 40 minutes, which had to end with a 20 minute break due to eye and finger strain. And given I was often asked to transcribe 4 hours of audio per week, his resulted in a pay rate of $4/hour of work, often working 9-12 hours per day. I gave up after just a few days. Unless you have a typing speed well north of 100 words per minute, don't bother with these people.

Advice to Management

Your application advised people to type at a minimum of 50 words per minute, but this needs to be changed to 100 words per minute at a minimum. In no way is working here cost effective or complimentary to employee skills or education.