Follett - Poor employee treatment at corporate offices. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Follett

"Poor employee treatment at corporate offices."

Current Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst in Westmont, IL
Current Employee - Senior Programmer/Analyst in Westmont, IL

Pros

Ability to telecommute 2 days a week and other options for an "alternative work arrangement". This is a great benefit.

Some good departments with some very nice people.

Some interesting applications (although many of them are a bit dated)

Cons

Management looks out for management (only) and, in a large number of departments, employees are poorly treated. At first I thought it was just my team but after working there for many years I've found it to be true in a large number of departments after talking to other employees. A disturbingly large number of poor low/middle managers. There are some managers that are excellent but they are in the minority.

Many teams are given very large workloads and are expected to work long hours often with little recognition - employees are simply resources to be used and little more.

Low annual compensation, although the bonus plan can be pretty decent.

Advice to Management

Value your employees, you don't have much of a company without them. Clean-house on lower and middle management (most of upper management I worked with were decent) and break up the "old-boys" network. I worked with many teams and I heard the same stories about how managers would stick with other managers to save each others skins and make the employees take the fall for mistakes.

Employees are treated as disposable. As a professional, it's difficult, insulting, and demeaning being treated like some low-level, uneducated employee that is expendable.

Other Employee Reviews for Follett

"Lacks strategic leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

Most employees have families and it is more family-oriented work environment than your average companies. For the most part, coworkers are friendly.

Cons

Senior management seems to lack leadership. HR is busy "spinning" survey results, rather than taking an active action to resolve the issues voiced by the employees.

"The work environment is very laid back but the pay is very low compared to other companies in the general area."

Current Employee - Software Developer I in McHenry, IL
    Current Employee - Software Developer I in McHenry, IL

Pros

-The people are very nice for the most part.
    -The atmosphere is very relaxed and it is very easy to take PTO (paid time off).
    -No one has to fear for their job as people are very very rarely fired.

Cons

-The pay is very low.
    -Follett has many divisions and has decided to "standardize" a lot of things across the board. Unfortunately they seem to be using the lowest common denominator for everything, so for some divisions, PTO was cut and for others salaries were cut.
    -I have heard that before i was hired, the PTO scale was more generous but that was lowered across the board.
    -Promotions are rarely given out and it seems like the company prefers to hire people into senior positions instead of promoting from within.
    -A lot of projects that are being worked have little or poor direction. (we are working very hard on.....something...but nobody knows what exactly)
    -A year(ish) ago there was a large company meeting to address the general dissatisfaction amongst employees. A large list of complaints was created and management went to work addressing the issues. The results of the meeting were super disappointing at best. The largest complaints were PTO, salary, working from home. The "solution" they came up with was a "Fun committee" which supposedly plans fun events to improve employee morale. The Fun Committee's largest contribution is a "store" (that nobody really cares about) that slightly undercuts the vending machines.

Advice to Management

-actually address the issues listed above.
    -i realize this is probably not going to happen. I'm very sure Management is well aware of our concerns but for reasons unknown to us, has decided to make these decisions.