Food For The Hungry - People come for the vision, leave because of the administration. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Food For The Hungry

"People come for the vision, leave because of the administration."

Pros

Outstanding vision, comprehensive understanding of poverty, holistic perspective, nice people, respected name, evangelical, hasn't abandoned the church, large enough to have options, entrepreneurial jobs.

Cons

Extremely difficult to administer. So decentralized that it lacks accountability.

Advice to Management

I've seen how difficult it is to administer, and I don't want your job. Focus on product lines.

Other Employee Reviews for Food For The Hungry

1. "No job is perfect..."

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Food For The Hungry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Food for the Hungry (FH) is a world-class company to work for with a vision of making a difference in the world that few other companies can meet. The intrinsic reward of working with FH is very great. And they have a clear mission, vision, and values that are communicated very clearly to the company. These align closely with scripture, and are inter-denominationally fundamental to all Christianity. There are several departments in the FH Global Service Center (in Phoenix) that work well together, and where quality has been steadily increasing over the past several years.

Some departments have a work from home policy of one day per week after six months, and health insurance is 100% covered for the employee, with options to add coverage for the employee's family. FH has been steadily moving away from allowing working from home, however. So I'm not really sure how much longer this will continue to be offered.

The con (below) related to pay is balanced out by the better chance of finding a good work/life balance because (in my department anyway). They encourage employees to work only 40 hours per week. This is backed up by an hour for hour overtime policy. Every hour you work over 40 hours is credited back to you in comp-time off. This is generally handled on an on-your-honor basis but it is obvious when someone is abusing it because their productivity doesn't show it.

IT management is reasonable, genuinely caring, and not deadline driven, which is a breath of fresh air in the face of other company's breath-taking inability to manage their own time, and trying to "fix it" by imposing artificial deadlines, which decimate quality, and relationships. In FH's IT department we can genuinely focus on quality, and our stake holders are understanding and supportive.

Cons

Pay
    Pay is not as competitive as for-profit companies because they have a hard time justifying to their board why someone should make so much when we always need more resources "in the field". This is an ongoing topic of debate in upper management, and it is uncertain what will be decided in the long run. Keep in mind that many of their employees work for less than what they would make anywhere else. And many of them are self-funded missionaries, and even a few un-retired volunteers. The majority are paid, just not competitively. It means you have to want to be here.

Digital Marketing
    While I mentioned in the pro's section that the IT department is not deadline driven, the Digital Marketing team decidedly is. They regularly contrive deadlines that have no basis in business need, and cause quality to tank. There have been several tragic stories over the past several years I have worked here. Thankfully, many of our larger projects are with other departments that have more of a systems management approach that focuses more on quality and work flow than arbitrary deadlines for the sake of having deadlines.

Commute
    They have a strict policy of making sure anyone who lives 115 miles or less from the office (that's anyone in the Phoenix metroplex) must drive to the office at least four days per week to be in the office. This policy is short-sighted and counter-productive for attracting talent from skilled fields of discipline. They have effectively limited their talent pool only to people who are willing to make the trek into down town Phoenix during rush hour.

Advice to Management

About Working Remotely
    FH can't afford to limit its IT talent pool to just the Phoenix metro area in the U.S. Likewise with other locations. Highly skilled technical talent is increasingly becoming more remote as a default expectation. If this were encouraged as a perk, it could offset the lower compensation that FH offers skilled workers. Quality of life is worth quite a bit.

For Marketing
    Study modern management and why deadline, goal-oriented management is short-sighed and damaging to quality. W. Edward Deming tried to tell us this back in the '60's but no one in the U.S. would listen. So instead, he went to Japan and revolutionized the auto industry there until they out-performed us here in America by far (Honda, Toyota, Suzuki, Hyundai, etc., and they still are).

2. "Work Life"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avondale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avondale, AZ

I worked at Food For The Hungry (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a friendly work enviroment, able to show your faith, flexible with schedules, good on the job training, great first job.

Cons

only open week days from eight am to four pm so must be able to be avaiable for those hours,

Advice to Management

Keep up the open communication, and keep up with team work and trust training they are great. miss working there!