Food Services of America - Looks good on paper | Glassdoor

"Looks good on paper"

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Kent, WA
Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Kent, WA

I worked at Food Services of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

very nice people. good team environment. made some good friends. able to make your own schedule within reason. no micro management.

We were able to work with the buyers and learn as much as we wanted. The company is thought of well enough in the industry and looks good on paper when looking for another job. It wasn't a horrible starting position out of college but it's not somewhere that you will plan to be for very long.

Cons

very low pay and no raises for assistant buyers - I started out making $14/hour and two plus years later I still was making under $15/hour.

Advice to Management

Realize you are going to have consistent turn over for assistants when you pay them high school wages.

Other Employee Reviews for Food Services of America

"Two sets of rules"

I worked at Food Services of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A core group of people that seem to know what they're doing and hold up the rest of the company.

Cons

Way too much high-fiving and self congratulatory behavior, with attitudes of such conceit & arrogance that defy logical explanation. A few too many employees having inter-office extramarital affairs. Enough gossip and distractions to prevent anything useful nor productive from at least 50% of their workforce. I personally didn't think it was going on any more or less than after the owner's death.

Advice to Management

Pay competitive wages and hire more outside help with degrees, and get rid of entrenched culture of yes-men and yes-give-it-to-me-more-women.

2. "very positive, great people to work for and to work with."

Current Employee - Sales, Downtown Seattle Mostly in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Sales, Downtown Seattle Mostly in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Food Services of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ever changing which is part of what makes it interesting, challenging and fun. FSA's a family owned company which in itself is a very positive competitive advantage. Stockholders are making the calls trying to crank every last drop of profit out of everything, we invest in our people who in turn make wise decisions on what we do and how. Employees are involved in the decisions day to day and thier input is valued. Customers who learn about who we are and that we are always working to make them more successful never leave

Cons

the glass is always more than half full in my mind