Ford Motor Company - Great job; good pay, good benifits, good people | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ford Motor Company

"Great job; good pay, good benifits, good people"

Current Employee - Maintenance Electrician in Louisville, KY
Current Employee - Maintenance Electrician in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great job; good pay, good benifits, good people

Cons

bosses intervension on troubleshooting. booo

Other Employee Reviews for Ford Motor Company

1. "A good place to work."

Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Product Development Engineer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Significant and challenging job responsibilities right out of school.
    Great support from coworkers.
    Really good people to work for and with.
    Generally good work life balance with a few exceptions.

Cons

Opportunities for advancement into management have been limited.
    Past uncertainty in the Auto industry.

Advice to Management

Return to "pay for performance" compensation plan

"Only if You're on a Fast Track Program"

Current Employee - IT Team Lead in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - IT Team Lead in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Probably the best work/life balance of any big company.

Cons

No room for advancement. Too many old people in management positions who need to retire.

Advice to Management

You are hemorrhaging talent at the GSR8 level! We are leaving in droves because you refuse to promote. This is supposedly because there are too many middle managers (LL6 and LL5). When a GSR8 interviews for a promotion to the LL6 level (the first level of middle management), they're told they didn't get the job because HR insisted on moving an existing, "capable" LL6 into the position. This has happened to me twice this year (2012) and once last year!

Throughout the 10 years I've been at Ford, I've been a good boy and have done everything I was told to get promoted. I got my MBA 5 years ago, did special projects and delivered high quality results, I worked long hours, logged in from home at night after putting the kids to bed, stopped going to the Ford gym during my lunch hour (gained back the 40 lbs. I lost...thanks), and finally, received a Top Achiever performance rating (Ford's highest performance rating). Still no promotion! And guess what? I'm not a unique situation. There are others that are just as talented, if not more, who are looking to leave Ford for a better opportunity.

It makes me really sad because I gave my all to this company and I'm being told to wait another 4-5 years for the older, retirement age employees to retire. I'm 38. In 5 years I'll be 43. So I have to wait 15 years for my 1st promotion to LL6. Will I have to bust my ass even more and wait another 15 years when I'm 58 for my next promotion?

I think most people reading this review will agree, that an employee who busts their ass, produces results, and goes the extra mile shouldn't have to wait 15 years to get promoted. Others might say I'm whining or that I should just be thankful I have a job. Well guess what? I'm beyond being thankful. It's the lazy people that watch movies on NetFlix, YouTube, or gossip on their Facebook page all day who should be thankful they have a job; not the people like me who go above and beyond!