Ford Motor Company - Purchasing Intern | Glassdoor

"Purchasing Intern"

Former Intern - Purchasing Intern in Dearborn, MI
Former Intern - Purchasing Intern in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Ford Motor Company as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- Very understanding of life outside work and management never had any issues if I wanted to take a day off.

- Inviting, helpful, second-family work environment. From day one I felt I was part of the team and everyone around me wanted to help me with my projects and give me advice.

-Value added projects, not just busy work. Provided me great exposure to what a full-time employees day is like.

- Great internship program that is well organized and put together. They have intern specific events that give all summer interns a chance to meet one another and talk about their experiences and projects. Purchasing interns are invited to round table discussions with top executives including Tony Brown, head of Global Purchasing. The round table events gave us a chance to ask questions to the executive level about work, life, career path, advice, etc.

- Ride and drive intern program. Allowed all summer interns to test new 2013 Ford and Lincoln models at Ford Proving Grounds test track.

- Very competitive pay and THEY HIRE THEIR INTERNS. Out of all summer 2012 purchasing interns, everyone I talked to received full time offers, including myself. (about 10 - 12 interns)

Cons

- Final Internship presentation. 20 minute presentation on what you did over the summer infront of management, directors, HR, and other skill teams. Weighted heavily on whether or not you will get a full time offer but may not reflect the type of work you did or employee you are if your bad at presentations. Great experience though and greatly improved my presentation skills.

Advice to Management

Provide more feedback to interns and give more direction.

Other Employee Reviews for Ford Motor Company

1. "Good place to retire, but not to get anything done"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunities to learn various aspects of the business
    Focus on process can be excellent for new programmers

Cons

No interest in keeping up with modern trends
    Culture of complacency due to lack of demotions or terminations
    Focus on process and documentation can be overdone

"Very old school and pathetic"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dearborn, MI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Dearborn, MI

I have been working at Ford Motor Company full-time

Pros

Great co-workers and relaxed work pace

Cons

It is really shocking how the spending freeze is affecting employees. You need to buy your own everyday use things....scissors, staplers, pins etc. Also the cafe at iTek is rather pathetic and if you are not buying nay food but just want to pick up a spoon/fork for your home cooked lunch, they charge you 10 cents per piece. I was horrified at this and the cashier and manager were so rude and discourteous! It is callous to demand this and shows how obsolete the entire system and the company really especially when we are the people doing most of the hard core IT work and bringing in millions for Ford.

Advice to Management

Please modernize the work place and change the cafe contractor with more friendly and smiling people who do not make lunch hour miserable after a morning of hard work!