Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center - Great work/life balance, Management could improve | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

"Great work/life balance, Management could improve"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Project Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Plushy offices - the offices are much better than some large companies like Amazon or Microsoft.
Great work-life balance. If you want to come in late and leave early, no one will stop you. Great for people who are active; there's a lot of encouragement to commute by bicycle and general physical fitness, very appropriate for a cancer-prevention org. The people are generally well-educated and concerned about world issues.

Cons

Top management makes all the decisions. I'm in mar-com, and my team and I have to do a lot of education and training on what we do. While the management has slowly come to learn what is important, they still waste a lot of money on things they do not understand.

Advice to Management

Trust the experts in the field, rather than imposing your own biases.

Other Employee Reviews for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

1. "post doctoral research, great place to do science"

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge research, excellent collaborative environment, professional and supportive admin staff, multicultural

Cons

not enough industrial contacts, transitionary support for students and post docs needs to be improved

2. "Great science, great career"

Current Employee - Faculty in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Faculty in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Freedom to do your best science. Great support from leadership. Financial support for your pilot research. First class admin and support staff. Beautiful facilities set on the shores of Lake Union. Dedication to the mission of the best science in the service of reducing the societal burden of cancer. Opportunities to be promoted from within. My entire career has been here and it's all been worthwhile.

Cons

Pay is better than most universities but less than most cancer centers. No sense of community across research groups. Every PI runs their own show so the quality of the experience for support staff depends on the research group.

Advice to Management

Pay the faculty on par with first class research centers.