Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center - Fantastic organization with great mission and cause | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

"Fantastic organization with great mission and cause"

Current Employee - Porgram Assistant III in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Porgram Assistant III in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Feel appreciative, great teams with few egos, shared goals.

Cons

Would like more opportunity for growth

Other Employee Reviews for Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center

"Post doc"

Current Employee - Post Doctoral Researcher in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Post Doctoral Researcher in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In general the Science is top notch at this institute.

Cons

Horrible PI that's made his name based on post doc ideas/grants.

Advice to Management

No idea how this guy is one of the leaders of the division.

"Sliding downhill; needs to strive for better times."

Current Employee - Systems Analyst/Programmer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst/Programmer in Seattle, WA

Pros

Acceptable salary and benefits, particularly for non-profit, and, with the right supervisor, it is very possible to achieve a good work-life balance here. Very friendly work community, with a diverse set of talent, both scientific and technical. The Center still conducts world-class research.

Despite taking my star rating down a peg from a couple years ago, I still would recommend the Center to job-seekers. Although the list of "Cons" below is quite lengthy relative to the "Pros," hardly any of them apply to me or my position in particular. I enjoy my position, and the Center too, for the most part, but am aware that my situation may in some instances be the exception.

Cons

These have more to do with how the Center is managed as a whole, rather than day-to-day work experiences, with a couple of exceptions.

Annual raises aren't what they used to be. When they are provided (usually less than 3%/year), they are often lost to increases in insurance premiums, cost hikes in the cafeteria (more on that later), and other employee-borne costs.

Given the current funding crisis (due to NIH cuts and sequestration), the Center is perpetually on the brink of money starvation. During these times, Center leadership will often make some foolhardy fiscal choices, such as building a flashy skybridge across Eastlake while simultaneously conducting layoffs or cutting funding to vital research programs. The Center has stepped-up its fundraising efforts and, much to my chagrin, has undertaken the practice of continually pestering its own employees to donate through payroll deduction; this practice has left a very bad taste in the mouths of many here, including some at senior levels. In a way, may of us already donate the opportunity cost of a better compensation package elsewhere to the Center's noble research causes.

The Center in recent years has also "off-shored" many campus services and amenities. Most notably, food service has been contracted out to an overpriced, out-of-town outfit. Lunch used to cost $5, now it's closer to $10 for less quality, smaller portions, and bad attitudes (undoubtedly the fault of inept food services management). Many of the employees are ex-Hutch food services staff, who I feel were ripped off in this transaction. The cafes are a sad place.

Finally, and very importantly, your mileage at the Center will vary greatly depending on your principal investigator. The Center is a community of much smaller research groups. Most of the scientists here are great, but a handful verge on sociopathy. Be sure to ask very pointed questions during your interview, and try to "feel out" other members of the staff to see whether they're happy. Scientists here have carte blanche (HR policy, nor labor laws, nor sometimes even hard reality, can touch them), and can practically get away with anything, and Center human resources is entirely useless when it comes to resolving workplace issues, so it is of crucial importance to figure out whether a particular position is a good match.

Final note, the Center often advertises positions that are actually based at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA), its clinical partner. Do yourself a favor and steer a wide path around that place.

Advice to Management

Get the fiscal house in order. Prioritize research and faculty/staff over silly "pet" projects. Put scientific and non-scientific staff at parity with regard to company policy. And, for Pete's sake, get somebody else to run the food service venues!