Fred Meyer - Mostly ups but some downs | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fred Meyer

"Mostly ups but some downs"

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Anchorage, AK
Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good benefits, associate discounts, opportunities to move up, training is available, most managers and store directors really care about their associates and it shows, flexible schedules available, willingness to hire and work with associates with disabilities, paid days off/vacation/sick pay, schedule is posted 2 weeks out to allow for the ability to plan for activities and appointments, willingness to work with those in school or that have other jobs, opportunities to learn new jobs and change jobs and/or location, weekly pay for hourly associates, overall a good company to work for

Cons

pay is not fair across the store, parcels do not get paid enough for what we ask them to do, hard to get approval for performance raises, cashiers are expected to get customers through lines quickly but they keep cutting the number of hours we can schedule our cashiers for, expect more work from less associates to the point where associates can not even get help for customers from other associates because there are not enough on the floor. We are expected to help keep the store clean but are not allowed extra hours to ensure this can be done regularly.

Advice to Management

all district managers should have to work at least 3 full days in stores every 6 months to see how things are on a day to day basis not just when they drop in for a few hours, and actually do the job or the associates not just walking around talking about expectations and maybe doing a little stocking. This would allow them to get a better sense of current challenges that are being faced and maybe can become more of an advocate for the associates in the stores when it comes to MO. They also need to be less stingy with the hours they give the stores, allow managers to write more consistent schedules for their associates, increase pay to encourage more qualified associates to apply and stay. I agree something like Undercover Boss in the actual stores with a day in each department would be a good experience.

Other Employee Reviews for Fred Meyer

1. "Was good outside of the daily drama that persisted in my department"

Current Employee - Deli in Shelton, WA
    Current Employee - Deli in Shelton, WA

I have been working at Fred Meyer part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Part-Time job that offers dental/medical
    Union requires a minimum amount of hours so you will always be at 20 and no less as a P/T.
    Interacting with a wide variety of customers

Cons

If you're looking for a steady schedule then this is a place you will not find that. It's retail so your schedule will be all over the place. You will work mornings and you will close nights. Wherever their computer places you is where you will go.

The Pay for the department is the lowest and tops out at the lowest. I believe the Deli area is more so the most difficult places to work in the store if not the most difficult and the pay wasn't sufficient for the work that you were required too do.

Advice to Management

No real issues with management. I just think things are kind of sloppy there.

2. "Needs New Scheduling System!"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boise, ID
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boise, ID

I have been working at Fred Meyer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a good place to work in a lot of ways with a lot of great people. They seem to be trying to make some of the right changes for the future, like trying to include more minorities and women in leadership and look at other issues. They seem to be working on diversity, inclusion and caring about the employees if they will actually follow through and not just do lip service.

Cons

The scheduling system sucks. Unless you are a top department or store manager you don't have a clue what your schedule will be. Have to work back to backs (work till 11 pm or 12 pm and be back to work at between 4 am and 7 am), work 9 or 10 days straight, no set or dependable schedule at all for most people. Then if you need certain days off they try to cut you to 12 hrs per week. They advertise flexible work schedules, which is true but the only one who has to "flex" is the employee. What they should advertise is you must be able to work whenever we say 24/7 or you can't get any hours. They don't accommodate people with disabilities or differences very well. Would like to see more of that.

Advice to Management

Change your scheduling system already! Let people have a family life with a more regular schedule so they can make plans. It's mean and barbaric how many store level associates are treated in regards to schedules. I could come up with a system that works so much better so your associates would be happier. There are some store positions that have more regular shifts so they are happier, but most do not and their shifts are all over the map. Fix it!!!!