Freddie Mac - Good/bad work experience depends on a lot of things | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Freddie Mac

"Good/bad work experience depends on a lot of things"

Current Employee - Technology Analyst in McLean, VA
Current Employee - Technology Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I know some people have had bad experiences at Freddie Mac, and it seems to be more likely that people who have bad experiences at a company are more likely to write a Glassdoor review than people who have had good experiences at a company.

I've had a very positive experience working at Freddie Mac. I know some of my other colleagues in similar positions have not encountered as much exciting work (or as much work in general) as I have, so I understand why they are not as happy. The underlying culture, people, and benefits are good. I think a person's day-to-day working experience changes their opinions about the company as a whole rather than just their position/work.

Some teams are better to work for than others here. I feel bad that some people haven't had as good of an experience as I have had. I guess it's hit or miss.

• Most teams allow flexible work arrangements. This includes teleworking and choosing your own hours within a certain range (e.g., start between 6:00 AM - 9:00 AM, end between 3:00 PM - 6:00 PM). Also the minimum amount of hours a full-time employee needs to work is 38.75. An extra 15-minute paid break per day helps keep the doctor away.

• Amicable and productive work environments. Most employees are friendly, cooperative, hard-working, intelligent, etc. If you treat others with respect, patience, and benevolence, you will generally receive it in return.

• Tightly-knit, engaging teams. I've had the benefit of working with various teams under various managers and have seen a beneficial team dynamic that exists in them. I've also seen this as an outside observer while working with other teams on projects.

• On-campus benefits. There are pretty decent cafeterias in all but one of the main offices in McLean. There's a gym in the main home office and a smaller exercise room in one of the non-main offices in McLean. Although there is no on-site day care service, Freddie Mac partners with a day care service nearby to give employees subsidized family care services. Also every break room has a refrigerator, microwave, coffee machine/hot water dispenser, and a fountain machine.

Cons

• Contingent Workers (CWs) are not treated as well as full-time employees. They can't use every parking garage, they can't use the on-site gym, they don't get benefits, they typically have to share cubicles/desks with other CWs, etc. I feel like this could absolutely be better. I know other companies do not treat CWs the same way as Freddie Mac.

• High-level reorganizations have been happening somewhat frequently as upper management comes and goes. It doesn't necessarily have a detrimental effect on the rest of the company, but it can make things confusing sometimes and can evoke anxiety about the near-term future of the company.

• As has been stated in other reviews, salaries are not as competitive as other companies in the industry. This is to be expected, though, when you consider where Freddie Mac was a few years ago and its current conservatorship with FHFA.

Advice to Management

Be more visible and integrated with the teams you manage. I know you're extremely busy, but it helps workers' morale when they can formally and informally engage with the people they work for, no matter how brief that engagement is.

(Upper-upper management has recently been making a better effort to engage with the rest of their teams in the company)

Other Employee Reviews for Freddie Mac

1. "A good company"

Current Employee - Quant Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Quant Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible working hour
    can learn a lot
    good manager

Cons

cafeteria is not very good.

Advice to Management

good.

2. "Interesting place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Tysons Corner, VA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Tysons Corner, VA

I have been working at Freddie Mac full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work, training opportunities, mostly nice people, diverse work force, volunteer opportunities, noble mission.

Cons

Lots of reorgs and changes, very little upward mobility, talent is not always properly recognized and undercompensated, social stigma associated with negative media coverage.

Advice to Management

Increase transparency - the employees are all adults and can handle it.
    Reduce bureaucracy - this is easier said than done but it is the only way to make the company competitive in a post-conservatorship marketplace.