Fresenius Medical Care - North America - Great intro to the medical field, and I might spend my career with them. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fresenius Medical Care - North America

"Great intro to the medical field, and I might spend my career with them."

Current Employee - Dialysis Technician in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Dialysis Technician in Portland, OR

I have been working at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's great working for a strong, stable company, knowing that you'll never get laid off. The benefits, especially the paid time off, are some of the best I've ever had. You do also learn a lot of practical skills as a technician, and it can be a great introduction to healthcare.

Cons

The culture at work really varies widely from clinic to clinic and depends mostly on the manager. The technicians are taken for granted and worked to the bone. They'd rather churn out new technicians rather than make the experienced technicians happy. Part of that unhappiness is because new technicians' salaries aren't much different than that of experienced technicians. After 5 years of working there, one of my friends got hired on. He showed me what he was making, and it was within $1/hr of my hourly wage. Another tough thing is that there aren't opportunities for promotion. You can make lateral moves into Biomed or as an RCIT (and those roles do have promotions available), but as a patient care technician there are zero promotion opportunities without your RN.

Advice to Management

Update your wage scales to differentiate the pay of a new employee from an experienced one. New managers should start out in small clinics and only hire experienced managers for large (>16 chairs) clinics. A large clinic can be overwhelming for a brand new manager. Even consider having an assistant manager for the clinic (possibly a technician) to help share the burden of a large clinic.
Secondly, when making new policies, please think of the effect they will have on workflow and time constraints. In the 9 years since I started, the pre- and post-treatment care has more steps added and yet the time it's to be completed (15 minutes) hasn't changed since I started. This adds stress for the technicians and I also think it makes it take longer and harder to train new technicians. I've trained about 20 over the years. It used to be that technicians could easily be trained and ready to be on their own in 8-10 weeks, but I'm increasingly seeing technicians needing 12-14 weeks of training and assistance or a lighter workload because new technicians can meet the higher demands that are now placed on technicians.
Lastly, be willing to fire people. I've only ever seen 2 people get fired in all my years. One was stealing from the company, and the other failed to pass an annual competency exam. Both should have been fired long before that for being unsafe with patients, failing to follow numerous policies, and being unprofessional. I've seen a nurse inject herself with medications. I've seen a technician get in fist fights with patients (the technician started it). I've seen a nurse be the first to observe a patient passed out in a chair and just walk away. The course of action in every case is to transfer the employee to a new clinic, where they repeat the behavior at their new clinic, and rarely ultimately get fired. Even when there isn't a case to fire them, you know when someone is a bad employee and not a good fit, and management should be willing to lay them off, even though it will mean paying unemployment. Bad employees are a cancer to the clinics they work in and drive away good employees and patients.

Other Employee Reviews for Fresenius Medical Care - North America

1. "Company should reenforce it's stated values"

Former Employee - Medicare Biller/Collections in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Medicare Biller/Collections in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits and hours. Worked here for many years and was never more goal oriented or satisfied. Office unified, dedicated, hard working and successful.

Cons

Upper management withholds updates needed to keep up with current company expectations. Difficult to work with Managed Care sector regarding contracts, updates and credentialing. Hard to get urgently needed documents returned or approved.

Advice to Management

Give consideration to weighing what is a valuable and productive asset vs. what is monetarily cheaper. Company values reinforce that every team member is valuable but does very little to substantiate that by eliminating successful parts of the organization. Value and nurture the offices that are collecting your money and the facilities that are doing your services. If it doesn't come down to the little people that make this machine move then you need to step closer and look closer at the big picture and take notice.

2. "Relaxed Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I have been working at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time

Pros

As long as you get your work done accurately and timely, they allow you to be pretty independent. Decent benefits and PTO.

Cons

Not great pay, getting set up as a new hire is a pretty long process.

Advice to Management

Try to give good employees some more responsibilities, currently not much incentive to excel.