Fresenius Medical Care - North America - Great company to work for! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fresenius Medical Care - North America

"Great company to work for!"

Former Intern - Student Intern in Waltham, MA
Former Intern - Student Intern in Waltham, MA

I worked at Fresenius Medical Care - North America as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Comfortable work environment, very friendly employees, beautiful work location. Overall it was a great experience and I would definitely return if given the opportunity!

Cons

It would be very advantageous to invest in a car if you decide to work here. FMC has a shuttle to and from the T but it is time consuming.

Other Employee Reviews for Fresenius Medical Care - North America

"It 100% Depends On Your Manager"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse

I worked at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing Salary, great benefits, PTO is very fair, I had the best clinical manager for years, this woman instilled in me what being a good nurse really means.

Cons

After being with the company for years I was contacted by another division, offered a position with a much higher pay scale and promised by the manager that the physical requirements were minimal. I went from the best environment in my career to the worst in that one decision.

I was promised time and a half if I were to get called in only to find out a couple months later I had "misunderstood" and that only when I was in overtime did I get time and a half, even though other nurses confirmed they received it regardless of overtime or not. I found out later that certain areas received time and a half, while I was hired on to work in one cluster of hospitals I found myself working in another more rural setting that did not receive this benefit. Another nurse hired on around the same time also "misunderstood" but we couldn't bring up the issue due to the threat of immediate termination for discussing salaries.

We were "encouraged" to take a 30 minute lunch break if did not interfere with a patient treatment but we were also strongly advised to move through the day as quickly as possible... In the interest of patient care I maybe took a lunch break once a week and refused to clock out while working, my managers docked 30 minutes off my day regardless. I understand state labor laws and did not make this an issue but it still bothered me.

Being on call was a nightmare. I was on call for two hospitals at the same time and there was no back up on call person established. In 6 months there were multiple times I was there for 20 + hours, one shift lasted 33 hours... I clocked out for 3 hours to wander aimlessly around Walmart instead of driving an hour home then turning around and driving an hour back.

Do not be fooled that all your dedication and self sacrifice will be appreciated or rewarded. After doing 4 stat treatments between two hospitals one night and making a patient safety judgement decision that was supported by two icu nurses, you can still be thrown under the bus and terminated for being "too slow" and "a danger to patient safety" even though you covered every base and have the charting and phone records where management and doctors were contacted every step of the way, letting them know of situations as they were happening to prove it. I was never written up or had any disciplinary measures taken against me leading up to this event in the 6 years I worked for this company. I was terminated over the telephone by a manger who was on vacation during the entire event and had no first hand knowledge of it. It took place months ago and I still am in shock and disbelief over it all. I have no doubt the hospital wanted to know why the "2 hour stat" treatment policy in their contract was breeched and instead of admitting their faults for not having a back up call person established or maybe that one person being on call for two facilities was erroneous, the fault was placed entirely on my shoulders and I was terminated. The paperwork I received in the mail reflected very little of what actually took place and instead gave very vague reasonings for the reason of my dismissal. I can only guess that Fresenius was about to suffer a vast financial loss and decided it was easier to make me a scapegoat and look the other way.

I have many, many people, nurses, physicians and patients alike who are more than willing to attest to my dedication to the people I serve. The reason I am slower is because I triple check myself and go the extra mile to ensure safe practice. I get physically ill at times thinking about what I was accused of by an establishment I sacrificed so much for.
    When you live in a "Right to Work" state with no Union representation what can you do? Pick yourself up, hold your head high, learn from your mistakes and do the best you can. It's not about me and never had been, it's about the patient and not one person in the lot was even slightly compromised. The highest K+ was 5.0, and 1 kg was the most any of the patients were over on their dry weight. I do my homework on the patients I'm responsible for and I challenge anybody prove otherwise.

Advice to Management

Fresenius has some amazing nurses that define excellence and some managers that inspire to no end. These are the people that make your company what it is. You can't put a price on competent health care and dedication to patients and their outcomes... They are the ones saving your precious profit margins from malpractice lawsuits and state fines.

"CCHT"

Former Employee - Ccht in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Ccht in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Fresenius Medical Care - North America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers, patients, and paid time off are the only positive things about this job.

Cons

You will be forced to work 16-17 hour days regularly with no sympathy from management. This company's main goal is to attain revenue. The company is ran mostly by people with business degrees; not medical degrees. It's all about figuring out how to make money off of sick people, while working their staff like slaves. Such a depressing and sad thing to admit; considering I worked there for 3 and a half years.

Advice to Management

Focus more on what the company was originated for; patient care!