FreshDirect - great food and a large option to choose from | Glassdoor
Pros
Cons
  • "Benefits could be a lot better, there is no 401k match, PTO is standard, salary is on the lower end of the spectrum" (in 9 reviews)

• "extremely poor work life balance" (in 8 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"great food and a large option to choose from"

Former Employee - Dispatch in New York, NY
Former Employee - Dispatch in New York, NY

I worked at FreshDirect full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

company provided a discount for all employees

Cons

the company allowed favoritism to the employees

Advice to Management

put personal issues aside and allow employees to grow within the company

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "It's Ok"

Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Administrator in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Accounts Receivable Administrator in Bronx, NY

I have been working at FreshDirect full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work flow/ Friendly staff

Cons

Working in a football field size fridge

2. "My (contract) job was decent, but..."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at FreshDirect as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Many managers go out of their way to be supportive and recognize hard work. Company store has a lot of heavily discounted food. If you are hard-working and have thick skin, you could potentially move up in this company pretty quickly, due to the huge amount of turnover.

Cons

Company is in full-on cost-cutting mode after a lot of issues with transition to the new headquarters building. I was only here a short time for a contract gig, but I watched many loyal, hard-working full time employees and managers get laid off, people who put years into the company, and they were often laid off without any advance notice. If you want a secure long-term job or expect to be compensated above-average, forget about going here for the moment.

Lots of miserable people in the company culture, largely because of the cuts and high turnover. A huge part of how you feel about working for this company will come down to who's your manager. I was lucky to work under people who genuinely cared about their employees, but right now chances are high you will be placed under someone who's basically written their job off as a lost cause and is angry about it.

Majority of work happens at night, nobody wants to work at night, so much of the turnover and open positions are night shift. You will likely be hired to work nights, and any advancement opportunities presented to you will probably be...you guessed it, nights.

From what I heard from the full-time employees, it sounded like the benefits offered were garbage. Crappy high-deductible health plan, no 401k match, etc.

Advice to Management

You can't cut your way to growth. While your employees recognize things are bad right now, and a lot of the job cuts were needed in the short-term, you should be focusing on making the remaining employees happy and fairly compensated for their hard work. The vast majority of the people in the building at the moment are miserable because they're overworked, underpaid and feel like they could be laid off at any moment. You've already lost a lot of priceless talent, I'd be worried you're going to quickly lose the rest if you don't significantly change how employees feel.

Discover more reviews about FreshDirect.