Fry - I enjoyed my tenure with the company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fry

"I enjoyed my tenure with the company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Westmont, IL

I worked at Fry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment, interesting work, great people, and great work/life balance. Being a consultant can be tough, but the work is rewarding.

Cons

Pay is not as competitive as working in downtown Chicago, but living and working in the suburbs worked for me. The company is not as bad as previous reviews with Micros taking over. It's a job and people that don't like change simply move on (and complain).

Advice to Management

Focus on employee growth and team building.

Other Employee Reviews for Fry

"Lots of technical freedom, management can be stifling to your development"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Westmont, IL

I worked at Fry full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment, long time employees were very technically competent. Significant account of freedom when implementing technical solutions. Company prefers open source technologies.

Cons

Upper management destroyed to culture of a really successful smaller company when Fry was purchased by Micros. Communication became very limited and one way. Yearly review process lacked input from multiple sources leading to one source dominating review. Some project managers who did not have any formal computer science training tried to dominate technology solutions at times.

Advice to Management

Bringing back the small company culture that values individual employees would attract and keep the best talent, although it may be too late. Allow technologists to exercise their expertise and let project management do what they do best, make sure the project gets delivered.

"Hated going to work every day"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Fry full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are nice , product not to bad but needs improvement and integration.

Cons

Was a great place to work when original Fry executives had involvement , they actually made a profit which is something that the current leadership is having a hard time accomplishing. Once Micros took over it went downhill. Employees are treated and spoken to like children and due to this many talented people with years in at the company have left. Pay is not competitive and existing senior management seem to be in over thier head with no real exit plan.