Fulton County Schools - flexible, steady Substitute teacher work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Fulton County Schools

"flexible, steady Substitute teacher work"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Fulton County Schools full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I enjoy being around kids, so mostly the day is enjoyable
Really flexible because I get to choose each sub job individually. I can accept or decline assignment through their computer system, so there is no stress. So I can work five days a week or just two or three . . . whatever I feel like for that week.
Downtown Substitute Support people are GREAT. If i encounter any problem, they say to not try to handle it ourselves, call them and they will handle it for us.

Cons

When the teacher leaves alot of horrid busy work or you just administer tests all day. . . it can be a boring day.

Some of the classes have disruptive kids that are annoying. And as a sub, I cannot discipline . . .I can only write a report to the teacher for him/her to discipline.. Usually, if I have to write a report, though, I hear through the "student grapevine' that the regular teacher absolutely raked that disruptive kid over the coals. So, ya, don't be afraid to write a report to the regular teacher. Then you get the reputation as being the sub who is really nice . . . but don't mess with her because you will regret it. lol But mostly, as soon as the kids see that I respect them and amd like them . . . . they usually treat me nicely, too. Students hate mean subs, so appreciate subs like me.

Some individual schools treat their subs like ROYALTY and some treat you a second rate employee. Recommend that you Sub at different schools and find the ones you enjoy being at. and who treat you well. Then pass out your business card to everyone there and accept most of your jobs at those schools.

That's a tip - make up your own business cards with your name, email, and phone number. When you take a sub job off the computer list and find that you like that teacher's classes . . . leave a nice note on the teacher's desk with your business card. Often that teacher will call you the next time she is out instead of just posting the opening on the conputer system. for any sub to take.

Advice to Management

School Administrations - Make your subs feel welcome, and thank them. And for heavens sake, give them a key to the faculty bathroom. Geeeez. Nothing makes me feel second rate more than being told that subs are not trusted with any keys. The good subs take jobs at the schools that treat them well.

Other Employee Reviews for Fulton County Schools

"Teaching Today"

Current Employee - High School Teacher in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - High School Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Fulton County Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At least I have a job.

Cons

No pay raise for the past five years!!! New evaluation formula and higher expectations on teachers than on the students.

Advice to Management

Expect more, pay more.

2. "Working at Fulton, you will become very community oriented"

Former Employee - Special Ed Teacher in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Special Ed Teacher in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Fulton County Schools full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at Tri-Cities High School. The administration is awesome, I could not asked for a better supporting staff; Teachers are all about the students!

Cons

students and buildings are a bit rough around the edges; Also going to school is like a fashion show or popularity contest so come with your A-Game.