Fund for the Public Interest - Canvasser | Glassdoor

"Canvasser"

Former Employee - Canvasser in Carrboro, NC

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working for a good cause, surrounded by others who are passionate about the environment. The team is very supportive of employee growth and development and you work your way up the ranks quickly if you stick with it.

Cons

It's a hard job. Walking from door to door for 5 hours into the night is rough on your body and spirit. Raising funds is difficult and it can be disenchanting when you get 2 donations for five hours of hard work.

Fund for the Public Interest2018-10-26
  1. "great experience"

Former Employee - Canvass Director

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest

Pros

I worked for the Fund for the Public Interest for two summers. It was a great way to make an impact on the issues I care about, and the job taught me a lot of valuable skills. Highlight was definitely banning plastic grocery bags in cities across California!

Cons

There really weren't many cons. It is a lot of work and I was busy, but that wasn't a downside for me.

Fund for the Public Interest2018-01-18

"Avoid this place"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time

Pros

the people you meet (for the most part) are incredible, responsibility, ability to manage people from a young age. You also really develop some valuable life skills that you can apply to anything later on in life. Despite what they tell you, canvassing employs the same skillset as really talented salespeople. If you can learn how to canvass, you can learn to do anything.

Cons

What they require young people to do is truly mind-boggling. I got a job full-time right outside of college and I was asked to relocate, thrown in the thick of running a canvass office with little/no training on recruitment, staff management, or fundraising. I was told I needed to canvass 4-5 days/week, 4:00pm- 9:00pm at night in a foreign city by myself.. in the winter. All the while, I needed to work a typical 8:00am-4:00pm...

Fund for the Public Interest2019-08-06

Discover more reviews about Fund for the Public Interest.