Fund for the Public Interest - Great experience, glad I did it, the organization is almost definitely evil | Glassdoor

"Great experience, glad I did it, the organization is almost definitely evil"

Former Employee - Citizen Outreach Director

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent way to learn communication skills; fun office atmosphere; quick advancement and possibility of being paid fairly well if you bonus (for door field managers, at least)

Cons

Terrible terrible labor practices: ridiculously high turnover (average time on staff has to be ~2 weeks), unreasonable and sometimes arbitrary quota/standards system, long hours for everyone, directors (salaried) work 80 hours/week at a minimum and are essentially brainwashed. Also their idea of "organizing" appears to be "get people to give us money." I got real disenchanted real fast.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending to be "progressive" if you're going to spend so many of your resources union-busting

Fund for the Public Interest2014-07-10
  1. "great experience"

Former Employee - Canvass Director

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest

Pros

I worked for the Fund for the Public Interest for two summers. It was a great way to make an impact on the issues I care about, and the job taught me a lot of valuable skills. Highlight was definitely banning plastic grocery bags in cities across California!

Cons

There really weren't many cons. It is a lot of work and I was busy, but that wasn't a downside for me.

Fund for the Public Interest2018-01-18
  2. "Avoid this place"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time

Pros

the people you meet (for the most part) are incredible, responsibility, ability to manage people from a young age. You also really develop some valuable life skills that you can apply to anything later on in life. Despite what they tell you, canvassing employs the same skillset as really talented salespeople. If you can learn how to canvass, you can learn to do anything.

Cons

What they require young people to do is truly mind-boggling. I got a job full-time right outside of college and I was asked to relocate, thrown in the thick of running a canvass office with little/no training on recruitment, staff management, or fundraising. I was told I needed to canvass 4-5 days/week, 4:00pm- 9:00pm at night in a foreign city by myself.. in the winter. All the while, I needed to work a typical 8:00am-4:00pm...

Fund for the Public Interest2019-08-06

Discover more reviews about Fund for the Public Interest.