Fund for the Public Interest - Citizen Outreach Director | Glassdoor

"Citizen Outreach Director"

Current Employee - Citizen Outreach Director in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Fund for the Public Interest full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are a lot of fun, like minded people who are passionate about their work. Unfortunately, the Fund tends to exploit that fact. I did get a lot of staff management experience and some skills that are great, the fact is you should work there for NO MORE THAN ONE YEAR!

Cons

Working 80+ hours per week for barely minimum wage in harsh conditions with minimal resources. I found most of the top management to be arrogant, ineffectual and blinded by some sort of cult-like appreciation for the gift of having a job there.

Advice to Management

There is no reason that you have to run the Fund this way. Please someone take an actual management class and stop taking advice from Ed Johnson.

Fund for the Public Interest2015-05-29
  1. "great experience"

Former Employee - Canvass Director

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest

Pros

I worked for the Fund for the Public Interest for two summers. It was a great way to make an impact on the issues I care about, and the job taught me a lot of valuable skills. Highlight was definitely banning plastic grocery bags in cities across California!

Cons

There really weren't many cons. It is a lot of work and I was busy, but that wasn't a downside for me.

Fund for the Public Interest2018-01-18

"Avoid this place"

Former Employee - Director

I worked at Fund for the Public Interest full-time

Pros

the people you meet (for the most part) are incredible, responsibility, ability to manage people from a young age. You also really develop some valuable life skills that you can apply to anything later on in life. Despite what they tell you, canvassing employs the same skillset as really talented salespeople. If you can learn how to canvass, you can learn to do anything.

Cons

What they require young people to do is truly mind-boggling. I got a job full-time right outside of college and I was asked to relocate, thrown in the thick of running a canvass office with little/no training on recruitment, staff management, or fundraising. I was told I needed to canvass 4-5 days/week, 4:00pm- 9:00pm at night in a foreign city by myself.. in the winter. All the while, I needed to work a typical 8:00am-4:00pm...

Fund for the Public Interest2019-08-06

Discover more reviews about Fund for the Public Interest.