G4S - The worst company I have ever worked for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for G4S

"The worst company I have ever worked for"

Former Employee - Traditional Security Officer in Blue Ash, OH
Former Employee - Traditional Security Officer in Blue Ash, OH

I worked at G4S part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work is easy enough for the amount of pay you're given. They have extended training and background checks, so the people they bring in are more competent than other security companies.

Cons

They make you feel like you're supposed to be in the CIA or FBI--due to long hours of mandatory training and written tests monthly--albeit reminding everyone that the only power security guards have are that of a private citizen. The upper management and "lieutenants" (what a poor job title) have an extreme superiority-complex--if you so much as make one mistake, you will be unemployed, due to their cutthroat way of managing.

You are forced to work long hours (with no prior notice), from 12-16 hr. shifts, regardless if the schedule has already been posted (even though we were "promised" that it would never happen once they took over the contract). I was flat-out lied to on numerous occasions by upper management as well as district managers. When I would inquire about being misinformed, they would act like they never said anything, and that it was all the subordinate's faults. They make it blatantly obvious that you are not a person with a family and a life, but simply a number working for a huge company that could care less about your well-being.

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the clouds and understand that we are PEOPLE. Not expendable, disposable numbers. Stop lying to lower-level employees, and show that you appreciate all the work we do for you.

Other Employee Reviews for G4S

"You're a Security Guard, what'd you expect?"

Current Employee - Custom Protection Officer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Custom Protection Officer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at G4S full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job. There's not too many out there right now.

Cons

Extremely low pay for the amount of Military/Law Enforcement experience required. Hiring process is long and tiresome if you include the mandatory license classes taught by elderly security "officers" who know very little about anything at all, much less security. Shift supervisors are incredibly incompetent and will regularly make scheduling errors and then blame their mistakes on you. There is absolutely no room for advancement or any kind of growth. If you are incompetent, lazy, over weight, have zero drive to better yourself and have a superiority complex; you will fit in splendidly.

You wear a golden whistle and straw hat for god's sake.

Advice to Management

Please stop marketing yourselves as an elite security force and start paying attention to your employees. Almost every member of upper management should have retired years ago.
    Pay your employees more.

2. "Great for part time work or a as a second job"

Current Employee - Security Officer in Springdale, AR
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Springdale, AR

I have been working at G4S full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Small teams allow for a more cohesive working relationship
    -Flexible schedule to fit the needs of the employees (school, kids, etc..)

Cons

-Low pay
    -Difficult to accomplish goals that involve corporate

Advice to Management

Emphasize the importance of your employee and pay based on experience.