G4S - Steady, but completely unsupported. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for G4S

"Steady, but completely unsupported."

Former Employee - Upscale Security Officer in Barrington, IL
Former Employee - Upscale Security Officer in Barrington, IL

I worked at G4S full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Steady work, 'decent' entry pay, good benefits (if a little expensive, full benefits cost me 1/4 of my paycheck)

Cons

Office has no incentive or interest in actively supporting the field. Requests for season-necessary uniforms(-30F temperatures outside and they made me go to work with short-sleeve shirts and a windbreaker) were at >= 6 months to be processed. Unannounced policy changes such as vacation freeze (or unannounced rollback if you were above new-hire vacation time for your paygrade) (only applicable to non-office personnel). They've been in a 'temporary' pay freeze since 2007, only applicable to non-office personnel.

Advice to Management

Corporate management: incentive-ize things other than the bottom line because quality is greater than quantity and your good officers are leaving the company for others. Important: MONITOR your regional offices and their policies. I can't believe G4S as a company is surviving if all offices are as bad as my regional one. Specific: terminate the Westchester, IL office personnel from top to bottom. You've done two audits in 4 years and replaced half the office personnel, yet the situation is unchanged. The office is corrupt and they've gotten into the habit of running it that way. You won't be able to salvage or change the admin, and your office would honestly be both more efficient and profitable if you eliminated the entire staff and started from veterans from both G4S or those from other companies that are effective.

Other Employee Reviews for G4S

"The worst job of my life."

Current Employee - Traditional Security Officer in Middletown, PA
    Current Employee - Traditional Security Officer in Middletown, PA

I have been working at G4S full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free time and decent co-workers

Cons

Low pay, shady management, incompetence.

Advice to Management

Clean House please.

2. "One of the worst jobs I have had"

Current Employee - CPO in Naples, FL
    Current Employee - CPO in Naples, FL

I have been working at G4S full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free uniforms if they have them in stock. People and post supervisors are great. If you are retired or in college with no family great job to have.

Cons

Where I work most of our equipment has been broken since I have been here and the response we have gotten was that there was no money to replace safety equipment but area managers and gm's get quarterly bonuses with no questions asked. I have been here and people that have been here for years said that there are no raises in fact they lower wages a couple years ago only for the guards but not management. Schedules suck I have worked holidays, birthdays, weekends and overnights with no consideration of family I was scolded by the office manager when I called off cause my kid was in the hospital. There are a lot more cons that I could mention but

Advice to Management

Get new mangers that are trained or educated administrators