GE Aviation - Co-op | Glassdoor

"Co-op"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

This is a large company with plenty of opportunities. Had chances to have a coop in three different sites during three different rotations.

Cons

Since it is such a big company you feel like a number. They are not a personal company.

Other Employee Reviews for GE Aviation

"Going into my 3rd year of the Edison program (directly hired out of undergrad)"

Current Employee - Edison Engineering Development Program in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Edison Engineering Development Program in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at GE Aviation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

GE provides a stable job and a program to help new hires gain experience in the engineering world. The program allows you to rotate into any position you find interesting every year, though I hear they have plans to cut that down. Stability trumps everything here: if you are looking for a place to settle down, have kids, and then retire with little risk and no excitement or adventure, this is the place to do it.

Cons

1)The pay is well below industry standards, but they justify it by saying "you get to work on something interesting, so we can pay you less". This excuse will be used directly to you in "All Hands" meetings.
    2)GE Aviation is in the Midwest (on Ohio, of all places), and thus you will constantly be surrounded by mediocrity. If you are ambitious and have the drive to be "a step above", this is definitely not the place for you. In Cincinnati, you will constantly be surrounded by people who praise mediocrity. Be prepared to be surrounded by people who:
    -Hang out with their high school friends (why meet new people? I'm OKAY with these ones)
    -Work at GE forever, though they aren't passionate about it (why find a new job? I'm okay with this one)
    -Marry the first person who won't dump them (Why meet someone new? I'm okay with this person)
    -Live in Ohio, forever (why see new places? I'm okay with this place).
    This mentality is poisonous. and is constantly within everything that happens.
    3)This is, of course, a big company that doesn't care about the employees. Remember: the second you stop producing for them, the second they forget about you completely.

Advice to Management

The front-line managers have all been great - they know their stuff, they put in the hours, and they really care about the team. Upper management doesn't really care about anything outside of the bottom line, and everyone knows that you have to suck the power-teet to grab the attention of the execs to move up.

2. "Infra Engineering Co-Op/Intern"

Former Intern - Infra Engineering Co-Op/ in Evendale, OH
    Former Intern - Infra Engineering Co-Op/ in Evendale, OH

I worked at GE Aviation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great working environment. Lots of opportunities to grow. Great mentoring overall. Very good benefits.

Cons

Could encounter some projects where you have very little time to come up with the final solution but the overall teamwork compensates for the stress. Some projects could take some time depending on the availability of the coworkers. Usually things get solved easily.

Advice to Management

Lower your GPA requirements. The minimum GPA required is 3.00 and you are very strict about it. Perhaps a person with a 2.8 or 2.9 GPA might be better prepared based on experience. There's a few colleagues that did not make it into the Edison Program because of this requirement. However, within 2-3 years their grow in other companies has been exponential. You missed out on having great Leaders by judging them just by their GPA.

GE Aviation Response

Aug 19, 2014 – Recruiting Coordinator/ Talent Recruitment Social Media/ Event Planning

Thank you for your transparent feedback! We appreciate your response and will certainly include your feedback and advice in looking at ways to improve our company. Thanks!