GE - A great place to hone your business skills, but not somewhere to stay forever. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for GE

"A great place to hone your business skills, but not somewhere to stay forever."

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager
Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager

Pros

Simply put, GE is a very stimulating place to work. Many of the politics and horrible things of working for other negatives of working at less respected companies are just not there at GE. Specifically, GE is the most results focused place I've ever worked. Its a place where what you are doing and going to do are far more important than what you say you can do and what you did last month. Its a place driven by the next big idea, not sitting around talking about the last great idea. There is one simple thing about GE that separates it from the other companies i've worked for... at GE, there is no tolerance to spend so long patting yourself on the back... its all about figuring out the best way to win in the marketplace.

Cons

Its certainly not the perfect place to work. Often, GE is too focused on coming up with the next great widget - and not the customers or consumers that actually use the products. I would say they are just good at marketing, not great... but certainly getting better. Also, its a pretty "thin" place to work... as in each person has a great deal of responsibility...this is good because you can do a lot in your job, but a negative because if someone leaves, or if someone stinks at their job, it really makes a big difference to everyone else in the organization.

Advice to Management

1) realize that marketing is not an expense, but an investment
2) look beyond the customer... there's a large world out there and customer's are not the end all...

Other Employee Reviews for GE

1. "Political correctness trumps processes"

Former Employee - Technical Writer in Tualatin, OR
    Former Employee - Technical Writer in Tualatin, OR

Pros

It is large enough that you can network with literally thousands of people. I'm a firm believer that a company's worth is measured by the quality of the people who work there, and GE inherited (through several acquisitions) some truly dedicated professionals.

There are always opportunities to advance, since (in my tenure) there was a lot of turnover.

Cons

For such a large company, I was surprised by the absence of processes when I joined. I have worked for family-owned businesses that took better care to provide computer backups, for one example.

Promotions often seemed overly influenced by the "diversity" of the candidates (as opposed to their qualifications). I was verbally discouraged by one HR manager from applying for a job because I did not have the pair of chromosomes they wanted.

Advice to Management

Centralizing in Florida has sucked the energy out of the other centers of excellence, which were driving policy and innovation for the company long before Bradenton joined. Those acquired companies in the distant outposts feel less investment in GE's success because the division has become too "top-down" from HQ.

2. "great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

Pros

the career opportunities are nearly umlimited, the compensation is more than fair

Cons

large corporate structure seems to drown personal recognition

Advice to Management

allow for ideas to flow from the bottom up